Premed 101 Forums

Feedback on application/interview

Guest docormama

Guest docormama

Hey everyone,

A while back, someone made a post about being able to call NOMS and receive feedback on applications and interviews for those of us who didn't get offers.

1) Has anybody done this yet?

2) How do you go about doing it? Do you just call the office to schedule an appointment?

Thanks for any input :)

Guest candace13

Hi, I just had my talk with the NOSM today.. you can set it up via email and then they call you. It was pretty helpful, she went over the sections of my application and provided some good advice on the areas I need improvement in and she also let me know where my application was strong. It was worth the 10 minutes, definately recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest opiedog

The http://www.normed.ca site lists these contacts, but I was able to connect with them by replying to the interviews@normed.ca email address, that they sent the invites out by.

Admissions Information - nomsadmit@normed.ca

Communications - communications@normed.ca

Human Resources - human.resources@normed.ca

Health Information Resource Centre - hirc@normed.ca

Research - greg.ross@normed.ca

Webmaster - mike.korolenko@normed.ca

General Inquiry - noms@normed.ca

Guest NurseNathalie

I'm really really impressed with all the little 'extras' that NOSM is providing .. from the email system to save on time, to the personal phone call after the offers are sent, to discussing individual applications on their strenghts and suggesting improvements... etc etc

wow.. well done!

ps: since i will be in Hamilton this winter.. i would like to suggest that someone do an MMI practice session again for next years' applicants.. i think that the preparation is useful (if for nothing else than releiving anxiety). anyone interested? i know its early.. but you may want to think about it before you get really really busy :)

i think that being in the charter class, you will be in the best position to answer any questions that future applicants may have. i will be home on weekends, so if you need help for this, just let me know and i will donate my time to help out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest madison2001

Would anyone that had their file reviewed mind offering some insight into what NOMS is looking for?

Any general feedback that might help next years applicants?

Thanks!

Guest docormama

Hey Everyone,

I was one of the unsuccessful applicants that got interviewed but was unsuccessful. I just spoke with Dr. Konkin today, on the last day that she was providing interview/application feedback. Some of my strengths/areas for improvement were:

Application -

-Improve my GPA, which was better after finishing this past year. FYI: Any courses you take that don't count towards a degree will not count towards your WGPA.

-Refine my content. She recommended reading, rereading, and getting others to read the application to "tweak" it.

-She also recommended really bringing forward strengths and activities that demonstrate leadership, innovation, etc. Also, well-rounded EC's are a plus. Don't know if I can be an athlete, but I guess there are other areas.

Interview:

-I had "room for improvement".

-Here, I got more generic recommendations about reading up on the four categories of questions: medical ethics; knowledge of health care issues in Canada, Ontario, and the north, especially rural and remote issues; preparedness for living in Northern Ontario; and critical thinking.

-Also, she recommended that practicing public speaking at every opportunity would also help greatly.

Overall, I found this was a very helpful process that I know will help me out this year. How much will be determined in several months, when the interview offers come out.

If anyone has any questions or wants to chat about applications, let me know. Hope this helps someone.

• 1 month later...
Guest NACHO174

If you are a Laurentian University student, and have some time you may want to join a new premedical club called LUMSAID Society (L.U. Medical School Application and Interview Development Society)...they practice MMI's ,and Panel Interviews. They are not affiliated with the preexisting premed society.

here is the website:

www.websiteservices.ca/lumsaid/

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt66GT

A lot of what docormama wrote applies to what I was told during my followup interview although overall I found it to be a very helpful process.

Some of the comments are fairly generic and the same, some were individual and very helpful as we went through each portion of my app. That said it's still disappointing to know you're so close yet so far........we'll see just how helpful in a few months I suppose.

Guest Matt66GT

Docormama,

May 31st is 221 days away.

that's 5,304 hours or 318,240 minutes or 19,094,400 seconds.

well.....19 million seconds???? when you say it like that it doesn't sound so bad.....:b

what's all that about patience is a virtue?

Guest docormama

I love it!

But the suspense may be over alot sooner than that if we don't get interviews...:\

But 19 million seconds isn't that long really.

Archived