Premed 101 Forums

Major delimma!

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Microbiology major + Commerce minor or Physiology honor?

Hello guys! I am in this dilemma on whether path I should take. I am not sure whether if I like to learn about business (never taken a bussiness couse b4), but I heard lots of science grads who have their own optoemtry/dental/medical private practices regret not taking some business courses during their undergrad to have some business background. I am interested both microbiology and physiology, so going with either should be fine, but going with microbiology will allow me to do a commerce minor since it's not a honor. Not doing a physiology degree won't be too bad since I think most med/dentistry/optometry schools consisit great deal of physiology, so I can just learn it there. But physiology honor program still can't leave my mind b/c it's more prestigeous (accept 20 ppl each yr) and the quality of teaching i heard is excellent.

And the business minor program is my school consists:

Macroeconimic

Microeconimic

Fundamentals of Financial Accounting

2 from: Principles of Organizational Behaviour, Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting, Marketing Management, or Business Finance.

So, which path do you guys think will better prepare a career that require ability to run a good private practice?

Thank you!

Guest drews97

I don't think a minor in business would be that helpful. I can tell you that I took both micro and macroeconomics and in no way are they relevant to running a medical business, or really any business for that matter. You would probably just be better off to take 1 or 2 options from those classes listed below that may be relevant in the future to running your own business like the financial accounting course.

Guest kupo

hey smooth? its more of a question of: what are you more happy doing?

getting a nice diverse background of science and business? or a science bkg with some prestigiousness attached to it?

Sure physiology is more prestigious, but I don't think medical schools care less about which program you are from. Microbiology is not a slacker program either; its very good, depending on your interests and goals.

try not to think too much about planning how to be the ultimate doctor upon graduating from medical school before you even get into the program. you are still in undergrad, so you should focus more on doing what will make you happy for the next 3-4 years rather than doing what will make your life easier 6 - 10 years from now. work on making a strong application overall. that means being in a program you are comfortable with (happy with what you are learning), being able to balance hard work and good marks with extracurricular activities, and most importantly, being able to convey that in your application.

that being said, there's nothing wrong in planning ahead, but work on getting into med school first before deciding how to set up you own practice. you have options - its up to you to pick one now.

kupo

Guest mitchie41

Commerce minors look cool, but most of the courses in the program won't teach you a SINGLE thing about running your own business.

To be totally honest with you, the only useful commerce course to non-commerce people would be the accounting courses(293, 294), and the finance courses--and that's only if you want to become an actuary, or work for a financial institution.

All the other courses just teach you abstract theory and stuff that's not incedably applicable to running a small business. Albeit, I hear Macro\Microecon are great courses. Especially if you take 310\311 which is esentially the same as 101\102 but you get upper-level credits for.

Guest Novoulmi

This may not be very applicable to you, but UVic offers a course called "Economics of the Canadian Health Care System". I took this course and it offers some great perspective for health care manager's and insurance companies points of view (the bane of the practicing physician). It was interesting and very relevant to my career goals. Look into the courses offered by UBC and maybe they have a something similar. I recommend taking it to all who can for an elective or a degree requirement (it has a prereq of microecon).

Guest smooth operater

hey guys! thanks for all your advices. I am going in 2nd year. I am only allowed to apply for business minor after in 3rd year, but taking couple economic courses in 2nd year will elevate 3rd courseload if I decide to do a commerce honor. So, I am not in the hurry to make that decision.

However, I still have one concern. I still havn't decided whether I should go with microbiology or physiology route.

Instead taking core courses for one major like putting all my eggs in one basket, do you guys think it's wise to take all the life science majors (i.e phamacology, medical labatory sci.)pre-reqs in 2nd year knowing that my marks will drop a bit since I will be taking couple more core courses that I am not interested in them?

Did you guys encounter this situation when u were undergrad?

Thank you!

Guest mitchie41

In second year, definately take all pre-reqs for the majors you want. Micb and Physiology are both programs in which you must be accepted to register for, so there are no guarantees as to whether or not you'll get in.

Don't worry about your marks dropping, becuase if you're really into life sciences, they probably wont!

There are some second year life science prerequisite-courses where you can get some TOTALLY awesome marks in(ie. BIOL 200, Chem 235, Chem 205, Chem 233, STAT 200, MICB 202) just depending on the instructor, so make sure you choose them wisely. You'll find that there are a lot more easier life-science pre-reqs than tougher ones(ie. BIOL 201, MATH 200).

In my second year, I took a buncha life science courses mixed with math courses because I didn't know what field I wanted to go into, so I was in your situation. But it all got sorted out during the week BEFORE I started my second year, and so I was stuck with taking life science courses that I didn't need!

Guest smooth operater

Hey Mitchie! Thanx for the advice! I will be taking 33 credits next year. I will be taking these courses so far.

1st term:

Bio 200

Chem 233

Chem 211

Stat 200

Biol 240 (1 credit lab)

Phil 120

2nd term:

Bio 210

Micb 202

Chem 205

Chem 235 (1 credit lab)

Physic 102

Phil 125

Do you guys thinkg the course load is much? I have to maintain at least 33 credits in winter session in order to be eligible for physiology. I am still trying to decide what art elective I should take. Any suggestions? I want something that's not too time consuming yet won't bored me out, so I can spend my time on core science courses. Thanx!

Guest mitchie41

A good 3-credit elective would be ECON 101 or 102 or Psych 205. All 3 courses are DEFINATELY do-able, and interesting(again depding on the prof). But why do you wanna take an extra elective and take more than 33 credits(looking at your list right now, you have 33 credits)? That would be kinda heavy(6 courses + lab in a semester), and as long as you have 33, I don't think the physiology dept cares for admission(last time I checked).

Both your semesters wont be too heavy, considering that Phil 120 and 125 requires no real studying(and it has no final). They're one of those courses where you review the material once every 2-weeks, and you study those practice exams and you can get a decent grade(although, as a warning, people do really crummy if they take the course too lightly).

I would try to get out of BIOL 240 though(unless you REALLY wanna take it, and liked 140). A lot of people tell me that the course is useless, and it's ONLY RECOMMENDED, not required, since they dont' have enough space to accomodate all the life science students. In fact, my buddy was telling me that the TA told everyone in the class that on the first day, and like 7/30 people just walked out RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me!

Guest smooth operater

Hey Thanx Mitch for the advice! Just wondering, what program and year are you in?

I am just planning to take 33 credits, I think anything over that is too much for me. I considered taking ENCON 101, 102, and Psych 205, but I checked ratemyprof.com and didn't find any good prof who will teach them for next school yr.

As for biol 240, it is a required course for microbio honour major, and if i don't take it, I am short "one" credit for physiology major requirement, then I will have to take another 3 credit course. So, I think it's best for me to take it. I just pray the workload won't be as much as bio 140. I did enjoy bio 140 mainly b/c I liked my group members, but I only receive mid seventy for that course.

Guest McCarey007

I was a science major who did a minor in commerce. I only did it because I wanted to have some sense of cohesiveness in my arts courses.

But having going through the minor, I can tell you that it will not really advance your medical options. For that, you need to take many more commerce courses. The minor only glazes the top of the iceberg.

Guest csp0304

hey smooth operator,

i think gateman and lemche always teach econ 101 and 102, so there's no point in waiting for good profs to teach these courses...

my friends told me these courses were GPA boosters for them, so they might be useful in filling those arts credits w/out any sacrifices..

Guest smooth operater

yeah, but i made up my mind that i won't go for commerce minor.

one concern.

what do you think about sitting through 4 hours of lectures with no break in between?

Guest Biochem3010

You shouldn't be too worried with all of that. University of all things doesn't really teach you a lot that will be useful or that you will use, but maybe how to think, but that is usually during exam times. However, it should teach you how to manage your time & stress better.

There was some research done comparing the stress felt between those with a univ degree & those without. Apparently, those who had a degree usually had better health & were able to manage their stress better compared to those that didn't. It doesn't mean that they will have a better job & easier life cuz most of us won't have a job after a bachelors degree. You have to do a grad degree & so on, but not all ppl do that. Those researchers had a lot of time & money to do such a thing, but they did it anywayz.

Second year is usually the 'jump' from easier to harder stuff. For me, 4 hours of lectures were the norm & was doable. In 3rd year, it was 5 hrs of lectures + a 5 hour lab with no breaks & my part time job. Even though days are long, you will manage !!! I've learned to manage my time better/stress due to that. Maybe, just think of it as a prep to stress at med school. :lol

My 2 cents...

Guest McCarey007

Hey Smooth,

I think you're the best person to answer your own question. I personally like to have all my lectures in a row, and then have free time afterwards to study or do whatever I want. I find that if I have a one hour break, I can't really do anything productive as I can't get into a "groove." But that's just me. The down side to this is, you won't have much time to hang out with your friends after class. It's just a mad dash to your next class.

I'm sure there are many students out there who will never do 4 lectures in a row, especially if they're all over the campus.

Hi

If you do decide to do a Commerce consider taking Managerial Accounting and Management Marketing as the two option courses. Organizational Behaviour will just bore the hell out of you and has absolutely no use in your medical career neither will business finance (but it is very interesting if you're into arbitrage).

Managerial Accounting will teach you about cost accounting/ cost analysis which is definately useful, as well, Marketing will teach you about certain market segments and how to target these segments.

I believe that a Commerce minor will help you out when running your practice.

My 2 cents

Guest smooth operater

hey guys! Thanx for all the advices! They really help me made up my mind. I decide to go with physiology path as it will qualify me for most life sci. majors. I can always take business courses later on after graduation.

I will have to take 5 science courses in term 2:

BIOL 201

CHEM 205

CHEM 211

MICB 202

PHYS 102

Do you guys think taking 5 science courses in a term is too hard? Thanx!

Guest yohimbebark

chem 211 is not a heavy course at all. guaranteed A if you do at least some work. it's like chem 12 but maybe a -little- more "advanced."

chem 205 isn't bad either

i think you should be fine with those courses; however, i think chem 211 is offered in term 1 .... so that might adjust your schedule a bit

Guest smooth operater

hey, thanks yohi! chem 211 is offered in both terms. I perfer to take it in term 1, but i think it will get full by the time i am able to register.

Archived