Premed 101 Forums

Sudbury Housing

Guest NorthernSLP

Guest NorthernSLP

Hello,

I will be attending NOMS (Laurentian campus) and I am wondering how hard it will be to find a good apartment in Sudbury. E.g., How much should a decent 2-bedcroom cost?Is anyone from Sudbury have any advice for me? Good areas/bad areas to live in etc? I am under the impression that there is a low vacany rate right now and am not sure how soon to start looking.

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks! :)

Guest Icarus

There's really one important factor when looking for a place in Sudbury. If you have a car, then you should have access to unlimited options in terms of size, cost, etc.

From the limited knowledge I have of Sudbury aparments you can find a nice, clean, two-bedroom apartment in a decent neighbourhood for 500-700 per month.

Without a car, I would suggest that you start looking much earlier. I recommend finding an apartment close to the school. The public transit system is not terribly convenient, although I'm sure some really dedicated bus riders could make use of it. If you do choose the bus option, I would strongly recommend finding out which bus route you are on and how conveniently you can transfer. I don't imagine as medical students we'll have two hours each day that we want to waste on the bus.

Guest NorthernSLP

Thanks Icarus! That is very helpful. I do have a car so that will make things a bit easier. It would still be nice to be located close to the university though. I plan to start looking soon.

Guest NurseNathalie

My only caution is, (and 'Sudburians'.. please don't throw rotten apples at me for saying this).. you should stay away from the Flour Mill and the Donovan areas.

they are listed as much cheaper then the other areas in the city... BUT very high crime rate, and there's so many dives out there! ... I would really suggest you don't go there.

Many Laurentian students live around the '4 corners' area..and the South end is also very nice.. but im sure there are many other nice areas. the transit system isnt too bad, and I think you will really like Sudbury. Lots of lakes..lots of water, and that always 'grounds' me :)

good luck in your hunt! there are off-campus housing ressources through Laurentian as well.. maybe they can help?

(705) 675-1151 x 1087 or by email: ocho@laurentian.ca

Nathalie.

Guest NorthernSLP

Thanks Nathalie. That is helpful. I have actually been told to avoid "Flour Mill" and I believe "Little Britain" as well. Good luck at Mac- it is a great program! I did my undergrad at Mac and although Hamilton is not my favourite city...the school is great and the area around the university, which includes Cootes Paradise, is actually quite nice. All the best!

Guest NurseNathalie

good luck in your studies at NOSM !! i'm jealous of the missed opportunity to be part of the charter class.. but, everything happens for a reason, and i'm happy with the choice i made.

Guest NorthernSLP

Just wanted to let everyone know that the rental housing market is Sudbury is really tight right now- extremely low vacancy rate! I have been told it hasn't been this bad in 20 years (although who knows...I don't know how reliable my source was). Anyway, I found an apartment but it wasn't easy! Just wanted to let people know that it doesn't hurt to start looking early as I assume it will only get worse as September approaches. Just out of curiosity, is anyone thinking of buying a house/condo in Sudbury instead of renting? My partner and I are not in a position to do that right now and do not know much about the real estate market there (i.e., how risky it would be) but if we are able to buy next year, we were thinking it would be better than paying rent for 4 years! Any opinions?

Guest NurseNathalie

If you are going to buy.. now is the time! Interest rate is very low, and the houses are quite affordable! They have some nice homes, and they are moving well.

New Sudbury area is also nice, and the South End is a quiet neighbourhood... if you don't mind travelling, the Valley is a nice place to raise a family- its a small, close-knit community (I opted to stay in Sudbury, cuz of the morning traffic rush from the valley- it can take from 45 min- 1 hour at times)

The real-estate market is doing well, and homes are increasing in value! You should see this as an investment opportunity. if you are a first time home owner, there are many 'special' deals (ie: lower down payment, etc...)

I would seriously look into this option! I'm sure the banks would also be appreciative of the fact that you are going into medicine... and I found owning my home was A LOT cheaper than renting! then you can sell it at the end and make a profit too! ;)

Nat

Guest NorthernSLP

Hi Nathalie,

Thanks for the info. It's nice to get some advice from someone with experience in Sudbury! I am hoping that we will be able to buy a house (potentially within a year). It is definitely more "do-able" in Sudbury than some place like Toronto....especially as banks are becoming more and more flexible. Take care!!!

Guest waterbottle2

Hi NorthernSLP:

What sources did you use to find your apartment in Sudbury? I am starting to look right now but I am living down South right now. I am planning on going up to Sudbury for two or three days and setting up a bunch of visits with landlords. Any suggestions where to start?

ttyl

Guest NorthernSLP

Hi Waterbottle2,

I had the best luck with the classified ads in the Sudbury Star. You can look at them online at:

www.ospreyclassifiednetwo...assifieds/

(just choose "Sudbury Star"). As far as I can tell, the ads are kept pretty up to date.

There is also a business called Sudbury Apartment & House Rental Service but apparently they charge a $100 to find you a place. They did not answer the phone at all when I was in Sudbury so I had no luck with them!

There is also an off campus housing office and you can view the listings online. The website is:

http://www.sga.laurentian.ca/ocho

I'm not sure how up to date the listings are so you might want to drop into the office or call (I tried calling but they did not respond).

Hope this info helps. :) Good luck!

NorthernSLP

Guest Icarus

I will be buying a house sometime over the summer. My sister is beginning her undergrad at Laurentian in the fall as well. We're hoping to get a duplex or something with another unit or two to rent out. I probably wouldn't have details on that for a month or so but if anyone is still looking for an apartment at that time I can post the details.

Buying is a great option if you have the funds. Fours years of rent can really add up.

Guest NurseNathalie

Hi..

I will run down to the off-campus housing office this morning... ( I work in the same building) and see if I can get the low-down, and prepare my report for you lol

Nat

ps: I'm away this weekend, so I wont be of use.. (I need to find a place in Hamilton) ..

but if anyone needs help in the move preparation (to make some local phone calls, etc.) for when you come down.. just send me an email meskage...

Guest waterbottle2

Hello Nurse Nathalie,

My real name, waterbottle2 is Nat too and ironically I live in Hamilton right now. So if you need help with apartment shopping in Hamilton, I can help you. It's like we are just swapping spots. Your coming to Hamilton and I'm going to Sudbury.

ttyl

Guest NurseNathalie

That's too funny!

thank you so much for the offer!

I think I found an apartment on Dalewood (Near Main St.)... I just have to go up there and have a quick look at it. I guess its in the westdale area.. safe to be living in??

hopefully, you will not have trouble finding something in the area :)

good luck!

Nathalie.

Guest waterbottle2

Hi:

I have lived in six different houses in Westdale while going to McMaster. It is undoubtely the safest place. I go out for runs late at night all the time and feel safe by myself. If perhaps you decide not to take the place you are thinking of, I live in a three bedroom main floor house till mid August. Our landlord has the house for rent for next year. Not a bad place and about ten blocks from the hospital. St. Mary's high school is about 8 blocks away and Wesdale high school is just down the road if your kids need a high school.

ttyl

• 1 year later...

Hi Waterbottle2 (Nat),

I have an interview at Thunder Bay for NOSM's class of 2007. I have noticed some of your entries on this site and would like to ask you some questions. You went to school in Hamilton but came from the north....why did you choose to go to NOSM's east campus instead of the west campus?

Archived