Premed 101 Forums

Chronicle Journal

Guest opiedog

Guest opiedog

There is an interesting article in the Chronicle Journal today about the numberson accepted and declined. Some of the percentages don't match up (60% accepted and 2% declined??) so I'm not too sure how accurate the reporting was. Might be that I was reading it on the fly....

Guest Icarus

I found the article online. It can be read here:

www.chroniclejournal.com/...l?id=27660

Highlights include:

As of June 10th, 60% of offers have been accepted and 2 people (~3.6%) have declined. (i.e. the rest hadn't yet responded)

12.5 per cent (7) are aboriginal;

70 per cent are women;

17.8 per cent francophone;

seven per cent from out of province;

50 per cent had lived 10 years or more in rural or remote communities;

41 per cent had lived 10 years or more in Northern urban communities.

(I believe all these numbers are based on the original 56 offers)

Guest jmh2005

Why would they (NOMS) bother releasing that information half way through the first round acceptance period (when 38% of first round offers haven't been accepted or declined???) ...well, I think I know the answer to that...

Bizarre...I'm sure the declines will be much greater than their N=2, as some people take a while to decide who have multiple offers...

I wouldn't put much stock in this article, they should be doing a press release in early September when the class has been firmed up...interesting journalism...

Guest Icarus

I really don't think that their release is all that unusual. I'm sure they put out this release simply to satisfy a curious public. A lot of people are following this quite closely. They have added the disclaimer that the numbers will change as the second round of offers are sent out. They also said earlier that they will put out a more complete profile of the charter class once things have been solidified.

Guest opiedog

Curious...if you haven't responded (are one of the 38% group) and the deadline is past, does that not mean you are considered "not accepting" or have declined via default??

Guest KerriD

If a person accepts NOSM, but was waitlisted somewhere else, can they accept the wait list school after accepting NOSM? If so, then for sure there are multiple variables that could influence these stats. I'm surprised too!

Guest Icarus

The 38% that had not responded was on June the 10th giving them 4 more days to reply. If they had not done so by yesterday then yes they would automatically decline their offer.

Yes, these numbers are definitely going to change to some degree. I still thought it was interesting to know what the initial stats looked like for the original 56 offers. I think that these would almost be more helpful for perspective applicants than the final numbers.

Guest opiedog

Drat. I didn't pay attention to the details enough, as in, date of June 10th. Got myself all worked up and hopeful over possibly nothing thinking that was the final number from the last date of acceptance.

Doh!

Guest waterbottle2

Hey Icarus,

If you read down the article on the NOMS web-site about the recent news conference it tells us that we are heading to Thunder Bay our first day of FROSH week. I guess it is going to be a road trip? I gather we better get used to being on the road as northern ontario is pretty spread out. Going to make stops in Marathon and good old Wawa I hear!

ttyl

Guest opiedog

KerriD, I think what you mentionis what "provisional acceptances" are all about. You can accept, but hang out on the waitlist somewhere else. If a spot comes up where you would rather be, then you can firmly accept at the waitlist school, and then decline your provisional acceptance at the first school. All provisional acceptances however, become firm early in July (I don't know the exact date).

Waterbottle, are you sure you are heading to Thunder Bay?? I might be confused, but it looks like the TBay group is heading to Sudbury.

From the Normed site....

Monday August 29, 2005

· Charter class of 56 students begins their orientation week together.

· Chart class is welcomed to Lakehead University.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

· Students travel by bus from Thunder Bay to Wawa and stop for a barbecue dinner in Marathon.

Wednesday, August 30, 2005

· Students continue to travel to Sudbury by bus.

Thursday, September 1, 2005

· Charter class is welcomed to Laurentian University.

Tuesday, September 6 , 2005

· Charter Class begins studies – 24 at the West campus in Thunder Bay and 32 at the East campus in Sudbury.

Guest waterbottle2

They refer to "Charter Class" is welcomed at Thunder Bay then Charter class travels to Sudbury and "Charter class" is welcomed in Sudbury. I would assume that they wouldn't only make half the class check out the opposite campus and not show the other half the program in Thunder Bay. I think "Charter Class" means all the class. Especially considering school is slated to start on a Sunday night at 4 p.m.. Why would they make stops in Wawa and Marathon with only half the class. I think we are all going on a road trip, either to Thunder Bay for Sudbury people or to Sudbury for Thunder Bay people and we will all get to hang out together for a week!

ttyl

Guest Icarus

I thought that if we were travelling to Thunder Bay they should have included our travel details as well. But you never know. It would be way more fun if we were all together.

I know that there's a pilot project going on at many sites right now, including Manitoulin, and the students go for orientation in Sudbury and then debrief in Thunder Bay. So, maybe that's what they're planning for us as well.

I definitely hope that they put us all together. I'm at work right now, but I think that my acceptance package said something about starting on the 28th of August. So maybe they do plan on putting us on a bus and sending us right to Thunder Bay. The description of the 29th of August definitely says that "Charter class of 56 students begins their orientation week TOGETHER." So, I guess there isn't really anyother way to take that, is there?

Well Axolotl, you'd better start saving your $$ for at least one big poker game that week.

I was talking to a few students who just finished their first year at other schools and they told me about their frosh weeks. I was kind of worried that we wouldn't have any senior students to put that together for us. I think that this road trip idea is a great one.

Guest Axolotl

Icarus,

Your skills are weak my friend. I hope you have been practicing! If you want to have a game...bring it...i'm always ready!

I can't wait to go for a road trip. The night life in Wawa during the summer is amazing! ;)

See you soon buddy.

Archived