Premed 101 Forums

Part-time Anes

Guest ashylips

Guest ashylips

I overheard a doctor saying that there are quite a few anaesthesiologists who work part-time and fill in the rest of their time as GPs.

what about part-time anes with, say, public health?

(btw, i'm a first year med student, so there's quite a bit of the basics of different specialties that i don't know about)

Guest kosmo14

There are quite a few Family Docs who do an extra year of training in anesthesia. This qualifies them as a GP-anethetist. They usually work in a rural or smaller community hospital. You would never be able to work in a large urban or tertiary care center as that usually requires the FRCP anesthesia designation. I know quite a few that work part time as a GP-anethetist then the rest as a family doctor. As far as public health I can't see why you couldn't do that as there are some family docs that work in public health.

Guest Ian Wong

I suspect those are probably few and far between. Of the residencies that are set up for public health type things, if you are thinking on a more community/global level, then a community medicine residency is where you'd likely be heading. The other way would be to pursue a degree outside of the MD degree, such as an MPH or a Masters in Epidemiology, on top of your residency training.

If you are thinking public health on an individual patient level, then all sorts of residencies would leave you in a position to counsel patients on preventative care. The infectious diseases guys (ID is a fellowship of internal medicine or pediatrics) will obviously have a niche for community level infectious outbreaks.

Anesthesiology tends to be a highly procedural specialty with minimal continuity of care, brief patient interactions (followed by lengthy periods of unconsciousness!), few to no clinics, and little to no emphasis on long-term preventative care, so doing both it and public health seems like a bit of a bizarre combination. Certainly, Anesthesiology can be practiced on a part-time basis, which would give you the free time to do research or serve on committees for public health initiatives.

However, given that the three most common places you'll find anesthesiologists is in the OR, the ICU, or in an outpatient surgery clinic (like at an oral surgeon or plastic surgeon's office, where you whiz between patients):

a) the vast majority of your patients are on a ventilator and are sedated, paralyzed, or both, and are therefore in no condition to hear about public health, and

B) the other public health guys are probably sitting around in some office, and would never be caught dead in an OR or the ICU!

Ian

Archived