Premed 101 Forums

Memorial Application

Guest clinicalchief

Guest clinicalchief

It asks if you are interested in practicing rural medicine, obviously, recruting more rural doctors is one of the main objectives of the school. How did you people respond to this? Should I say yes just to increase chances? If I say no will it look bad??? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

From my admittedly cynical point of view, it can only help you to state that you are interested in a rural career. This statement would probably be even stronger were you to come from a rural underserved area, and could comment on exactly what role you could play in aiding your local community. Of course, the ethical and moral thing to do would be to state this only if there's a genuine interest on your behalf.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest ramse2002

Actually, yes Memorial is foremost in the primary care setting and is especially looking to turn out doctors for rural areas I believe. Certain parts of the program itself is geared towards this goal like shadowing doctors who practice in a rural setting in your first year. But as Ian stated, whether you have a genuine interest in this aspect of medicine and want to point this out to the committee is entirely at your discretion. Good luck! =)

Archived