Premed 101 Forums

programs

Guest kc55

Guest kc55

Hi...unfortunately I've been rejected from med school for this coming September. I have, however, been accepted into physiotherapy. I have heard that Memorial doesn't like to take people out of programs when considering med school acceptances. Does anyone know what truth this holds? Have you heard of anyone else being taken out of programs to gain a place at med school? Since my ultimate goal is med school yet I would enjoy physio, as it would be the next best thing for me if I don't end up getting accepted into med for the next few years, do you think I am ruining my chances of getting into med anytime soon? Should I just take extra courses rather than another program? Masters for this September is out, since I am too late to apply....thanks for your input guys!

Guest Ian Wong

If you have no intention of ever practising as a physiotherapist, then I'd say no. Leave the spot for someone who truly wants the job. Figure out what parts of your application are deficient (eg. grades, MCAT scores, volunteering, travelling, research, working, etc) and spend time improving those factors instead of enrolling in a program that you don't intend to complete.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest kc55

My problem is that I would like to do physiotherapy if I don't get into med school after a few tries....so, if I don't get into med school after a few tries, then I have no back up plan and physio would be the only other thing I would be interested in. However, I wouldn't want physio to hurt my chances of getting into med school, since this is my dream. I would like to know if physio is hurting my chances of being accepted into med, and should I turn down physio hoping I get into med next year? I hope I don't sound selfish, but med really is my number 1 interest, but it's always good to have a back-up plan....

Guest Liana

I would say, decline the physio offer for now. Take a year for yourself to boost the other aspects of your application - rewrite the MCAT, take some more UG courses, or just go on a volunteering/working internatioanl excursion, whatever will help your application.

A year out of your life is not a huge deal. You will probably have a hard time being accepted to medicine without having completed your other program, and while physio school may help you a little bit in terms of learning the medical curriculum, you may not "use" a lot of the physio-specific things you've learned once you become a physician. Let someone else who really wants it have your seat.

Another degree may help you stand out against other applicants, but the MCAT, your GPA, ECs and interview skills are really the qualities that will help you get in. Take this year to develop those aspects of your application. If you don't get in this year, or the next, then you should start rethinking the physio goal. But in the meantime, that's a lot of money you'll be investing in an education that won't help you a lot, and it's a seat you'll be taking away from someone else for whom physio is the ultimate goal.

Good luck!

Guest clinicalchief

kc55: Would the physio program you got into happen to be at Dalhousie? I was curious as to when notifications come out...

Guest clinicalchief

Sorry it was too late to add before I hit send...

I agree with what Ian said. Meet with an adcom member to find out what your weak points are and ask them what would be good to improve upon. Then work on it over the year and hope for an acceptance next may. If you ultimately want to be a doctor, drop the the physio, I think it would do more harm than not.

Hey there. My advice to you would be to not jump to a decision regarding your physio offer too quickly. Sure it makes sense that if you don't want to do physio then you should give up the spot to someone who really wants to do it. BUT...it sounds to me as if you do have a genuine interest in this field. How long is the physio program (3 or 4 years). If I were you, I would strongly consider completing the physio program. If you decide during this time that you could be happy practicing in this profession then stay with it. If not, the knowledge and experience you gain in physio will be extremely valuable to you. I have no doubt that these experiences will only serve to enhance your application to medicine as well.

I'm not sure how MUN regards students applying to the medical program while they are still completing another "professional" program. I know of people who have been accepted into Dalhousie's medical school from the physio program (while still completing the program). I know of several MUN pharmacy students who have been accepted to MUN's medical school for the upcoming year, after having completed their pharmacy degrees.

My point is this: Completing the physio degree will offer you many opportunities. Not completing it leaves you were you are now. If you think you might enjoy it, then go for it. You will gain perspective, health care experience, and knowledge that will definitely help you with medical school. Or, you might decide that you really enjoy physio and could be satisfied with it as a career. This happened to a good friend of mine who had been refused by Dalhousie's medical school prior to entering physiotherapy. One negative thing you should consider is that the courses you will be required to take in PT school are very demanding and might adversely affect your GPA. Having said this, I know that achieving good marks is possible with the right mix of discipline and commitment. Completing the program will in no way adversely affect you application unless your GPA is compromised significantly or you drop out.

Good luck to you in your decision :)

Guest kc55

cgb...all I can say is thanks. Your sentiments are exactly what I've been trying to explain to others over the past month or so. I feel as though some people may interpret my situation as taking the physio position from someone with sole interest in physio. But, what if I never get accepted into medicine? Then I'll apply to medicine, hoping to get accepted again, and I'll put myself back a few years. Not that life's a big rush or anything, but I wouldn't want any added disappointments or regrets....

With that said, I also appreciate the advice of Ian, Liana, and clinicalchief...medicine is what I truly want, but I'm not so sure I'm a strong enough candidate to ever be a med student anytime soon...

I actually really enjoy this web site...I was crushed when I received my rejection letter, but reading about so many older applicants, applicants who have been rejected before, and applicants who have been rejected this year helped me put everything into perspective.

Thanks to all!

Guest kc55

With regards to the comment "Then I'll apply to medicine, hoping to get accepted again" meant to read "physio" instead of "medicine"....not that it's a big deal, it just might've been confusing to read

Hey kc55:

I've tried to write back to you twice, but both times my message would not go through.

Overall, I just wanted to wish you good luck. People often are quick to judge in situations like this, but remember that your decision ultimately will have a huge impact on your life, not theirs.

Good luck to you. You really are in an ideal situation. Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck :)

Archived