Premed 101 Forums

Impact of current Labour Dispute

Guest Chillibow

Guest Chillibow

Any thoughts on the current NAPE/CUPE strike. I know a lot of us volunteer at hospitals and other health care facilities throught the province. How do you believe the current labour dispute will impact on patients, staff and volunteers?

If you had the choice of volunteering during the strike (thus having to cross picket lines) would you? How would you justify your choice?

Guest MDSMelissa

Hello,

I have heard about this on the news and was actually going to post something here too. What are the conditions like there? What kind of things are impacted? How does this affect the students at MUN, in particular the medical students?

Cheers,

Melissa

Guest Chillibow

NAPE represents more than 15,000 workers in 11 different groups, ranging from government and liquor store workers to hospital support staff.

CUPE has 3,500 members on strike. Most of them work in health care and the school system.

MUN does have CUPE and NAPE bargaining units, but they’re not affected by the strike.

The university does share some facilities with the provincial government and its agencies, such as the Health Sciences Centre, which are being picketed on a 24-hour basis

But the university is operating “business as usual” with all workers expected to report for work.

Guest stevetilley

I just returned from a week in the sun (we had a week off)...

Anyways, this whole strike thing is going to be a real pain in the a$$. Driving by the hospital there is a mess of strikers everywhere. I personally have no problem driving through the picket lines. The provincial government is flat broke, and there are lots of jobs that aren't needed, and lots more that are way overpaid. (i.e. $15-20/hr kitchen staff jobs that pay $5-$10 in the private sector)

I just hope the Tim Hortons in the cafeteria is not closed!!

Guest stevetilley

Dammit, I have lost all respect for these strikers - today in the AM, they had one of the enterances completely blocked off, and at the other one they were stopping cars on the way in. They got really confrontational with me.

The really sick part is that people with health problems and parents bringing in their kids also have to deal with this nonsense. Could you imagine if you were bringing in your 4-year-old to the hospital for chemo and then an angry mob of strikers tries to stop you from going in and starts a confrontation? Good greif...

I believe the local police are in the same union so I bet that's why they're reluctant to remedy this situation.

Guest Ian Wong

That bites man. Healthcare in particular is one of those areas that doesn't tolerate strike activity well at all; patients get sick each and every day, and often need immediate treatment. Anyway, the strike is making news nationally, and I hope things work out soon (although that hasn't been looking too likely).

www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040412.wustrike12/BNStory/Front/

Ian

Archived