Premed 101 Forums

Princeton Review

Guest ummahumm

Guest ummahumm

Hey there!!

I was just wondering if anyone has taken the Princeton Review and if so, how useful it was when writing the MCAT?

Thanks! :)

Guest druggist

Hey,

I took PR. The books they provide are very comprehensive, meet the AAMC demands, and are perfect for studying for the MCAT and were the big selling point for me. The syllabus for the course also provides a guide which allows you to stay on track regarding what you should be learning. The actual didactic lectures were alright, but really just a reiteration of what the books said.

Whether to take it or not really depends on your learning style: are you an independent or dependent learner? Would you benefit from classes or do you get all you need from books? Have you taken all of the suggested pre-MCAT courses? etc.

Up to you...

I did quite well with the course though, scored a 36Q and was extremely happy with that.

Cheers,

Druggist

PS - There are tons of threads discussing this in the MCAT prep forum, I read these when considering PR.

Guest ummahumm

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm registered for the course for this summer and am hoping it will be useful. My only concern is that I have to also take a full course load so I was wondering if you (or anyone) has any suggestions on studying techniques to make the most out of my time?

Guest druggist

Hey,

I wouldn't worry about the course load, despite what people may tell you. If you are a pretty good student you should be able to handle it.

I worked a full time lab job during the day's (and some weekends) and still made out fine. I would just say to stay on top of things and start early. Start reading the books and doing practice passages right away, as soon as they supply them to you. Then, when you've made it through most or all of the material, plow through the practice tests (they give you a lot of material). Also, remember to time yourself, the MCAT is as much a knowledge/thinking test as it is a play on time. If you run out of time you'll get a bad mark, regardless of whether you answered the first 50 out of 90 questions 95% right.

Cheers,

Druggist

Guest druggist

Oh,

I forgot to say that there are many suggestions for studying for the MCAT in the MCAT forum, along with people to complain about it with...

Guest Douje Dog

I took Princeton Review as well, and it certainly helped me. I think it has a lot to do with how much of the material you've covered in undergrad. I did a music degree and didn't do any of the courses that the Princeton Review taught, so it definitely helped me in that regard. I would imagine, though, if you've done all these courses in undergrad it would just be repeat of stuff you've already done.

One other thing I liked about the Review course is that it made you write so many practice MCATs. I wouldn't have written them on my own, but taking the course I kind of had to, so I did and it helped a whole lot. So I guess what it comes down to is how self-motivated you are, and what you've done prior. Personal preference I suppose! Either way, hope this helps in making your decision.

Doug

Archived