Premed 101 Forums

Dilemma: Wait-listed... Re-write the MCAT?

Guest MD Hammer

Guest MD Hammer

Hi All -

I am asking for a bit of advice...

I am an in-province student and this past application cycle was my first time applying. I just finished my undergrad in Microbiology and Immunology, 3.6 gpa, MCAT Verb-8, Phys-10, Writ-T, Bio-11.

I have been wait-listed, but am not getting my hopes up, since I am in the bottom half of the Vancouver and Island wait-lists - so, I am in the process of preparing my application for next year and am looking for areas to improve. Since my gpa will remain the same during the next application cycle, I was thinking that my MCAT could perhaps be improved. Although UBC and other Canadian schools have traditionally used the MCAT as a mere flag, after taking a look at the MCAT stats, it is a bit unclear just how important the MCAT is. I just lugged my good old Kaplan books from the closet and it's a bit daunting - but I suppose all risks and decisions inevitably are...

For those who got in after several application cycles, how did you improve your application? Do you have any advice?

For fellow wait-listers, anyone in the same MCAT dilemma?

Thanks for your help!

Hammer

Hi,

If you are applying to other schools than UBC, you may want to consider re-writing. Queen's and Western don't use the MCAT as a flag...it is a cut-off that determines whether or not you get an interview. This year's cut-off at Queen's was 32 and I'll have to check on Western's but I think you need above an 8 on verbal. For other provinces outside Ontario, they favour in province students, so you'd need to have stellar application to get accepted. I don't think re-writing the MCAT would hurt...I think most schools use the best score, not the most recent. Of course, this decision is totally up to you and other factors such as how much time you have to study for the MCAT will come into play.

Since your GPA will stay the same, you could probably improve your application by doing some more extra-cirriculars such as volunteering or travelling abroad. Since you got wait-listed, your application is already probably strong. Just keep applying and I'm sure you'll get in!

Good luck,

Jenny

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Before making the big decision, why don't you contact the Admissions Office and ask if those MCAT statistics are true and if the selection process for this year and the coming shall be a little different, i.e., if your MCAT scores shall be competitive. You never know, they might provide some illumination for you before you unnecessarily waste your resources. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MD Hammer

Thanks for the advice Jenny and Kirsteen! Many factors have to be weighed and I will call those Admissions Offices to find the scoop. If I find out any information for all of you in MCAT dilemma, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Hammer

Guest McCarey007

I second what JC15 said. I think your stats are decent and neither your GPA or your MCAT (alone) will hold you back....at UBC. But if you want to apply to eastern schools, then you should re-write.

If UBC is where you want to be, you might want to improve your ECs instead. Might as well serve the community instead of giving AAMC another several hundred bucks. :)

Guest MD Hammer

Thanks for the advice McCarey! I agree that UBC weighs life experience pretty heavily in their decision making process and as a result, EC's are a very important part of the application. If I do not get off the waitlist, I am definitely going to take advantage of the next year off and do some cool things that I have not been able to do while an undergrad. Thanks again - Hammer

Archived