Premed 101 Forums

To the moderators...

Guest druggist

Guest druggist

Sup all,

I have a query for the moderators--what makes MUN MUN? Ie, what makes MUN so special? How does the school compare to others, specifically Dalhousie? What are it's little perks and what are it's downfalls (in terms of curriculum, clinical practice sites, etc.)? I don't get too much from the website so it would be nice to hear the answer to this question from someone who is currently attending the school.

Thanks so much,

Happy happy new year (in advance),

Druggy :hat

Guest Douje Dog

Druggist,

Just read your post. I'll be sure to get back with an answer in the next couple of days. We start classes again tomorrow, so I have a few things to take care of and it's a bit late to write one up for you now. But check back in a couple of days, I'll be sure to post a nice one for you! Bottom line though, MUN is a fantastic school for many reasons; I'll be sure to outline a nice few when I write back in a couple of days.

Cheers, Doug.

Guest druggist

Douje Dog,

No worries, and thanks for all your efforts (in advance). I look forward to your reply.

Now that I think of it, I was also wondering what relevant health issues/local issues were pertinent that I should be familiar with (in Nfld), as if my first question wasn't enough.

Cheers,

and thanks,

Druggy :D

Guest Douje Dog

Druggist, I'll do my best to answer your question. I can't speak first hand of Dalhousie, as I don't go to school there and didn't interview there. There are though a bunch of my classmates who did - I'll tell you what they've told me. And do realize that although I'm going to try and be as unbiased as possible, it's almost impossible just because MUN is where I’m attending!

MUN is an excellent school. First of all, something which I personally think is really important - the people are fantastic. There's a small class size here, only 60 students per year, which means getting to know everyone in your class fairly well is not hard at all. I have a good friend who goes to school at U of T (where the class size is almost 200) and he's said there are only 40 or so students that he knows well to enough to talk to. So, our class is really tightly knit, and I think it's awesome that way. We party pretty much every weekend, are always doing different social things throughout the week, and most of us all get along really well. We also know the 2nd, 3rd and some of the 4th year students well, and there's always stuff going on involving different years. (First year - third year party, etc.)

The small class size also allows for good interaction between faculty and students. We all know most of our faculty really well and there's a great rapport between both. The faculty is great, and really make an effort (for the most part of course) to help students in whatever way possible.

As for academics, MUN's strength is definitely its clinical skills program. The program is renowned all across the country. Patient interaction starts right from the first term, and continues right through the first two years, until third year when clerkship starts (obviously that's filled with lots of patient contact.) I've heard stories of 3rd year students from MUN doing away electives, and being told that their clinical skills are at the same level of a 1st year resident at that same school. MUN has a great simulated patient program which is used right from the 2nd week of classes, and really helps with giving students experience in examining patients.

All schools across the country organize their academics somewhat differently. MUN has it set up so that Anatomy, Biochem and Physiology are 1st term; Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology and Genetics are 2nd term; and in 3rd term we start our Integrated Study of Disease Course and start studying diseases, organized by the different systems (Cardiology, Nephrology and Respirology are the last term of 1st year). This course continues into 2nd year. I can’t really compare the academics taught here versus the ones at another school because I have no real knowledge of what goes on at other schools. But I have heard from some 4th years that when they were away they noticed that Anatomy was taught really well at Memorial compared to other schools. Either way, I imagine all students across the country end up with most of the same basic science knowledge at the end of it all anyhow.

If I had to mention a downside to Memorial’s program, it would apply to those interested in applying to more competitive residency programs – Ophthalmology, ENT, Plastics, Derm, etc. MUN doesn’t offer these residency programs. Therefore, if a MUN student is interested in applying for one of these programs, they’d obviously have to apply away, and have to make quite a good impression on their away electives to have a good shot at being accepted into that program. However, most people who I’ve heard of who have applied to one of these fields have been accepted. So it’s certainly not impossible. I’m actually thinking I might want to go into one of those fields as well.

If you’re interested in Family/Rural Medicine or a Primary Care field, MUN has a fantastic reputation across the country for the residency programs they offer in those fields.

There you go! I hope that helps at least a bit. In my opinion, MUN is a fantastic school in a whole lot of ways. A couple of my buddies from class who were accepted both here and at Dalhousie said there was no question in their minds where they wanted to go. They interviewed at both places, and said that Memorial was a much warmer place and right from the start the people were more welcoming. In my opinion, that’s enough itself to want to choose MUN.

-        Not that I have anything against Dalhousie, of course, I’m just repeating what I’ve been told.

Any other questions let me know and I’ll do my best to get back to you.

Douje

Wow Douje, you make memorial sound really good! I really wanted to get an interview before, but now I really really want one even more!! :)

I like it that they focus on primary care and family medicine because that's what I want to do.

Here's hoping I get an interview!

Good luck everyone :)

Dunes

Guest druggist

Douje Dog,

Thanks for the info, it was exactly what I was searching for. I am curious though--MUN does offer anaesthesia right? I was sure I saw a link to the department on the home page. I'm just curious as I have done quite a bit of job shadowing/research with an anaesthesiologist/intensivist and would like to pursue an elective in that field should I gain acceptance, in order to continue with my interest.

Also, I have heard that some medical schools look negatively upon individuals who pursue health professional degrees (specifically pharmacy, for me) and then subsequently apply for admission to medicine. I know this may be bull, but was curious if you have any pharmacists in your class; as I will be completing my pharmacy degree this year (not at MUN though).

Thanks for all your help,

I truly appreciate it,

Cheers,

Druggy :hat

Guest Douje Dog

MUN does offer a residency program in anesthesiology. There are tons of opportunities to shadow some docs around town and get some exposure in the field too. MUN has a Career Shadowing program which starts in 2nd term called MedCareers. It's a program which allows 1st and 2nd years to match up in different fields of their choice and get some hands on experience and exposure in those fields. I'm actually starting urology on Tuesday. So, I can't see any problem with you getting an early elective in Anaesthesia.

As for the Pharmacy thing, we do have one pharmacist in our class, and I believe there's a couple in the year ahead of us. I don't think having a degree in another health care field will have anything to do with your application, and it shouldn't. If you're a solid applicant, it doesn't matter what your background is - especially at MUN. We have a wide variety of backgrounds in our class.. you'd be quite surprised! Either way, don't let that bother you.

Good luck boys and girls with your interviews. If you get one, be in touch and we'll be sure to have a good weekend lined up for you here.

Doug

• 1 month later...
Guest MedAnxiety

Hey Douje Dog, thanks a lot for all of that info! As for the residency programs, which programs are available? Is it difficult to go away for residence because someone did their MD undergrad in MUN or because they are OOP? Thanks!

Guest Douje Dog

Ok, I'll do my best to fill you in here. Sorry if I miss one or two programs.

MUN offers:

Family Medicine/Family Med + Emerg

Internal Medicine (subspec: Nephrology)

Psychiatry

Neurology

Anaesthesiology

General Surgery

Orthopaedics

Radiology

Pathology (Anatomical + General)

I think that's it. But this is off the top of my head, so I might have missed one or two.

And no, it shouldn't be hard to go away to do a residency program if that's what you want to do. Just do a few electives in 3rd away, and you should be fine. MUN has quite the reputation of producing excellent clinical doctors, and schools all across the country know this.

Guest MedAnxiety

Thanks Doujie for your list. I was also wondering, any word on when the OOP and NB/PEI applicants will hear about their acceptances/rejections this year? Thanks!

Guest Douje Dog

Not quite sure. They don't really tell us much about that, we can only guess, and assume.

But based on last year, NB invites should be out by the end of this month, I imagine. Same of OOPs too I guess. All the best!

Archived