Premed 101 Forums

volunteering in Greater Vancouver

Guest dentisthopeful

Guest dentisthopeful

Hello everyone, I'm about to enter UBC and I'm looking for some health-related volunteering, preferably where I can learn something about the medical profession or something technical. I heard someone volunteered at a hospital pharmacy and I think that's quite interesting. Would anyone please recommand some places? Also, how can I shadow a doctor, like do they let you volunteer in their office? Thanks a lot:)

Guest threeputt

I found it tough to find a doctor to shadow - even ones I knew personally, it seems there may be some policies regarding confidentiality and non-medical people. But everyone's experience is different.

I've heard that hospice work is quite rewarding and interesting. I myself did a lot of work at the Van Crisis Center, which I though was much more interactive and gave more responsibility than the hospital. A good place to start is the Volunteer Vancouver website.

Guest McCarey007

I believe that if you want to shadow a doctor, you technically need "observership status" from the hospital or some governing body.

However, some doctors don't fully adhere to these regulations and let you observe anyway...or so I've heard.:rolleyes

For example, I might be shadowing a doctor at VGH in the next month. First, I need to apply for the observership status. But the doc said that since I'll be in med next year, it may not be necessary.

Archived