Premed 101 Forums

Tipping the Scales....

Guest Chillibow

Guest Chillibow

1) Anyone have any thoughts on what type of MCAT score can cause the Admissions Committee to forgive a 70% undergrad (BA) average? Do applicants with 70% undergrad averages get into MUN Med?

2) Upon graduation from MUNover five years ago, I was accepted into a post-graduate IT School (ITI) and graduated with a 90% average. I understand MUN will not include that particular diploma program when calculating my average....will they look at my success in that challenging program in any way? I would hate to think that it would not be considered in any way.

3) I have spent the past 4 years-straight working full-time in the Newfoundland IT industry. How will that come into play when reviewing my application? Will it simply be lobbed in with volunteer/extracurricular experience, or will it be seen as an indicator of academic ability and aptitude?

4) What are your thoughts on non-academic recommendations? It's been four years since I last attended school and obtaining an effective recommendation may prove difficult. Who are the best folks to obtain recommendations from.

Thanks

C

* I apologize for any duplication from a previous posting, but I thought would pose my questions a little differently.

Guest clinicalchief

Although somebody who has been accepted may be able to offer more valuable advice (ie Steve), I can give you my opinion on the situation. (Plus I know how long it takes to get some replies on here, every post counts) :\

First of all have you written the MCAT yet? Looking at your undergraduate GPA, I would assume a competitive score would be expected (>27). I can't answer if anyone has gotten in on a 70, but I have heard of someone who is in, sitting on a 75 ugrad average.

I'm not sure if the AdCom will consider your IT grades, but I think the most valuable thing to take from it is that you did continue with some type of education beyond your BA instead of finding a job when you finished your degree.

I wouldn't think your job would prove academic ability, however it does demonstrate motivation and dedication and reliability. The job can mean anything that YOU think (and can reason) it does.

The references you choose are different for everybody. It's desirable to choose somebody who knows you very well personally. This might be an employer, teacher, co-ordinator, family friend etc. The more personal the reference is, the better. Can this person convince the AdCom that YOU should be taken into medical school? They should be able to describe your personal qualities well.

If I was in your situation, I would be doing everything I could to get an interview. Since your undergrad GPA is not as high as most, there must be other things on your application that will get you an interview. These things are MCAT scores, volunteer/EC's and references.

Looking at your GPA and considering how long ago that was, I would consider taking a year or two of full time (if possible) semesters taking MCAT pre-reqs. This way you can show you are capable of a full science course load, you will be well prepared for the MCAT, and you will have some recent, and good grades to show. Also, I would recommend getting some clinical experience, whether it be paid or volunteer, that wont hurt either.

Not to say you shouldn't apply next round, but that is definitely an option.

Wow this message is long, sorry about that. I'm pretty bored anyway :P

I'm sure everything will work out for you, there have been many people in a similar position as you and have reached their goals successfully.

Good Luck,

Mike

Guest Chillibow

Thanks CC,

I do appreciate your thoughts. No, I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I have been preparing for it over the past several months and feel quite comfortable with the material thus far.

I concur with your suggestion to focus on getting an interview. Aside from my unfortunate undergraduate average (not due to any lack of academic ability), I feel I have excelled in most other areas of the application, including clinical experience, leadership and volunteering. In fact, I would probably attribute my average in some part to my extensive ECs. (I know, not a good excuse, but nevertheless a factor).

Of course, in the end, the AdCom has to see academic potential - which I plan to demonstrate through the MCAT (which strangely enough I'm looking forward to taking).

Maybe I need to have my head examined....at least I'm heading in the right direction for that.

CC, may I ask a bit about your background? I would like to learn more about others who are looking to attend Medical School, especially at Memorial.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Quite reassuring.

Guest clinicalchief

Glad I could help. Although I haven't been through the application process yet, I have been researching it since high school; I'll be applying for September 2005. I am originally from Newfoundland and I am currently in my third year at MUN (biochem). I am also studying for the April MCAT, since I am not satisfied with my scores from Aug'03 - hopefully this is the last time I will have to go through the hell of it all :x I am in a similar situation as you in terms of academic/EC balance, my first couple of semesters were academically mediocre. Luckily, I've had an upward trend since then, and I think my EC's will somewhat stand out. MUN Med is the only school I'll be applying to (as of yet), I've been around the school now for years and I've really gotten to know it, and alot of people too. I'm really looking forward to applying next year. Who knows, we might end up in the same class!?!! (Praying :P )

Guest stevetilley

Chilibow, you're 100% correct in that you'll need an excellent MCAT score in order for the adcom to look past the 70% undergrad. If I were you I'd aim for a 32 or better total score, which, in my opinion, would give you a good edge in the applicant pool. I hope you're looking at the MCAT fourm and finding some good advise there.

With the the importance of your MCAT score in mind, here's some free advice:

I found the AAMC practice tests extremely helpful. I bought them all online direct from aamc, it was about US$200, but well worth it. When you do the practice tests, time yourself, and dont cheat!! Also I used a book called "The Gold Standard" (I think the author is Brett Fernidad), excellent review and it comes with 3 practice tests. Also, textbooks in biology, chem, physics, and organic chem might be helpful for any topics you have trouble with, but beware; they sometimes go into too much depth for MCAT purposes. Some people find the MCAT courses helpful, but I didn't feel like paying anyone $1000+ to tell me to study!

Dont get discouraged if you're not scoring 30+ on practice tests right away. You've got lots of time to improve, and mcat-style test taking is a skill you will develop as you practice.

Last, and most important, its never too early to start studying!! The earlier you start, the earlier you can find out your areas of weakness and focus on them.

Good luck man!!

Guest Chillibow

>If I were you I'd aim for a 32 or better total score, which, in >my opinion, would give you a good edge in the applicant >pool. I hope you're looking at the MCAT forum and finding >some good advise there.

That's very reassuring to hear Steve. Personally I'm aiming for the big 45....but a 32 or better would suit me fine. :b Yes, I have been looking at the MCAT forum and am impressed with what I have read thus far.

The risk with reading such forums is that sometimes they can promote a significant amount of paranoia and stress to anyone who takes everything they read as the gospel truth. I think folk should sometimes take a step back and realize that the MCAT, Medical School or even becoming a doctor is not the end-all and be-all of life.

I think once you get into that frame of mind, things become a lot more manageable. Work hard, study hard and enjoy the ride.

Congrats Steve on your acceptance to MUN. I wish you the best of luck in September and in the years ahead.

Cheers,

C

Archived