Premed 101 Forums

To SteveTilley...

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hiya Steve,

Hope you don't mind I summoned you by name! You said you went to UCC for high school? Did you by any chance enroll in the IB curriculum? And if so, how difficult is it to get a score of 43 in that curriculum? Thanks in advance for anything you can give me regarding what it takes to achieve that 43, I imagine its a higher end score?

Guest stevetilley

Spencer,

43 is an insane IB score... that would mean six 7's, +1 bonus point (also other permutations possible, but you get the idea!). Basically, you'd have to be almost perfect in everything!!

I'd estimate there are probably only around 20 people in the WORLD who get 42+ on the IB each year. I knew 1 or 2 guys at UCC in my year (class of 2000) who were in this range, they were not only insanely smart but also worked their asses off.

Your IB score has ZERO relevance to med school. What is important is that you get through high school (and/or the IB), go to ANY program at ANY university, get excellent grades, do well on the MCAT, and maintain an interesting portfolio of EC's, and also keep yourself sane enough to perform well on an interview. (having a social life helps in this area!!)

I went to UCC and got a 38 on the IB (7,7,6,6,5,5 + 2 bonus). I graduated from the University of Arizona after 3 years with an Honors BS in biochem, and then went to MUN Med. (I'm originally from Newfoundland.) Believe me, at no point would MUN Med, or any med school, care what you're IB score was or even if you ever did the IB. However, on the same token, the IB prepares you to do well in university, and I think I owe some of my success in undergrad to having done the IB.

Cheers,

Steve

p.s.. In case you're still interested.... to get a 43 on the IB: first, be gifted with a great deal of intelligance, then study study study, go to all your classes, watch some of the best years of your life pass by, and write the IB exams and hope you do well!

Guest Spencer

Hey Steve,

Thanks for replying so promptly and with such detail...Although I have some friends at UCC and St. Andrews College I have yet to solve the enigma that is the IB marking scheme...so I've given up and asked for help. The reason I asked about the 43 IB score is a pretty long story...it didn't have anything to do with its relevance in getting into med school in Canada although med school fits in there in some context. I was doing my research for undergraduate degrees to pursue and I'm actively considering applying to the MBBS program in several Australian universities. I was looking for some indication of admissions averages for that program at the University of Melbourne and I saw stumbled on the IB section of the admissions which said that an equivalent entry score to the program in terms of IB would be a score of 43...although some people may be accepted with a score of less than that, but no lower than 35. Seems like a big difference to me...anyway...I continued searching these past few days and found an Indicative Entry Score chart for programs at UMelbourne, since I'm in the Ontario curriculum...I need a ~95% average to be considered...:eek ! The chart did say "Canadian Year 13"...I hope they will take into consideration that I am part of the new curriculum at getting a 95% just isn't as easy as it used to be, especially since I'm caught during the transition! Thanks for all your help though Steve, with any luck, I'll be in Melbourne studying medicine when you're doing your clinical clerkships out there in Nfld! I hope you're enjoying MUN med...Best of luck! And thanks again...

Archived