Premed 101 Forums

Disability Insurance

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Did anyone go through that package on disability insurance?

Is anyone considering getting it right now?

I was leafing through the old UBC forum posts and Ian recommended getting it between M2 and M3.

I just don't want to waste money, especially when I don't have much to spend in the upcoming year.

Guest soapyslicer

Hi physiology,

Go and talk to MD management. I met with Kari Woo and she gave me a pile of info on DI. They actually work in concert with the CMA and UBC F of Med. She had a alot of good advice without trying to push anything. Her job is just to help you understand it all and then make your own decision.

Soapy

Guest jmh2005

I don't think there is a need to rush into disability insurance at this stage...I'm 11 months from graduating (hey, who's counting??) and I still haven't bought any. I will when I'm a resident however, but I would also agree with Ian's advice, once you start clerkship it might be a good idea, especially if you are hospital-naive (which I wasn't, having worked in several for 3 years before starting meds...its truly amazing what you can contract during your first year of full-time work in a hospital!!). All the best :)

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Physiology,

I am going with the National Bank. It is capped per year which shouldn't be a problem as my husband makes a good wage. I also like that you do not have to re-negotiate the LOC at the end. This means it stays at prime unlike some which switch to approx 8%. I have some friends that had big problems with the CIBC LOC so didn't want to go there. The only one that was close was the RBC and I did't want the temptation to live outside my means. As I am not as young as almost everyone else(except tigerman so far) I am not interested incoming out the other end with $100,000-$200,000 debt. I am fortunate to have finished my BSc and MSc with no student loans or other debt so I figure why start now. If things go ok I hope I don't have to use any of the money.

On the other hand I could really use a new car:o

Time for a nice long soak in a hot bath with a good book. Figure I had better enjoy the quiet while it lasts

soapy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Edwarder

Quote: "...its truly amazing what you can contract during your first year of full-time work in a hospital!!)."

Can you elaborate on why you think it is especially true for people who are "naive to working in a hospital"? What sort of things are you talking about here?

Ed

Archived