Premed 101 Forums

Computerized MCAT

Guest UofT Student

Guest UofT Student

Hi everyone,

I read some messages that the MCAT in the U.K. was administered by computer last year. I was just wondering if anyone in Canada had written the MCAT on the computer last month?

If so, could you please comment on it, and let us know if we'll be given the choice of writing by computer or by paper? I'm a Canadian and I'd much rather write the MCAT by paper if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Guest aneliz

I believe that the MCAT is only administered on computer in 'overseas' test centres...and Canada doesn't count as overseas despite the comment on national TV about the movie "Chigaco" being filmed overseas! :lol

I am not sure if it is always administered on computer overseas either....I think it might have been a pilot project.

Call the MCAT program office if you are concerned, but I don't think that you should have anything to worry about!

Guest peachy

I'm never writing the MCAT again (yay!) but I don't think it'd be so bad for it to be computerized.... When the GRE went computer-adaptive, it meant that it could be written on any day that you want, and it's shorter! And I think they give the test-takers unofficial scores immediately.

Guest UofT Student

Thanks guys, I have emailed the MCAT Office regarding their policy on computerized MCATs and am currently awaiting a response.

Peachy, I agree that a computerized MCAT would be good for sections such as the writing sample (although people who have difficulty typing quickly would tend to disagree!). However, for sections like Verbal Reasoning, I tend to underline important words or phrases as I read. I wouldn't be able to do this on the computer.

Also, I've read in an earlier thread on this topic that the computer would provide you with harder questions if you got earlier questions correct, and vice versa. I don't agree with this policy, as you shouldn't be "punished" for having gotten questions correct. I'd much rather complete the MCAT via paper and pencil. :)

Guest UofT Student

Hey guys,

I got a reply from the MCAT Office. They say that "[a]t this time the plan is still to administer the test by paper in pencil in

Canada."

I am now greatly relieved. Let's hope that this policy will be around until next year at least. :)

Guest sally2001

hey,

i think the computerized mcat would be a disaster.. having to note down the key points instead of underlining, circling etc is impossible. i played around with the powerprep GMAT software and for reading comp, i was jotting down the passage points and it wasn't comfortable. plus i don't see how your instant score could be any more than a guessestimate since people would be writing across all timezones, and you're score is scaled relating to everyone else writing. doesn't sound feasible to me and i dont' think it's something to worry about.

Archived