Premed 101 Forums

International MCAT by computer only???

Guest dddd

I just read the aamc website, and it says 11 international testing sites administer the MCAT by computer only, including the written sample. Does anyone know more about this, or has anyone taken it by computer? I have major concerns; I've been preparing on written tests, I'm not sure about whether or not we get scratch paper, what about slow computers, or moving around to different parts of the test, or any other host of problems. (I'm a Canadian who happens to be out of the country for the April test, so I fall into this 'international' category.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi dddd,

I believe that last August represented the first sitting of the computerized MCAT, and if I'm not mistaken, it occurred in the U.K. I haven't read or heard any reviews or feedback as to anyone who underwent the computerized test so I can't comment on that side of things. Perhaps you should give the AAMC folks a shout to request more information, or check their website for a FAQ on the digital test?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...

I heard in my prep course last summer that the computer test is very different, in that questions pop up one at a time. If you get one question wrong, the next one that pops up is easier. But if you get the ques right, the next one that pops up is harder. And it continues like that for each you get wrong or right.

Now this could be a total rumor, or it could be a new way of computerized testing that isn't starting until later, and maybe the ones they are testing out now are more normal. But that is what i heard, and apparently there are other standerized tests already done exactly this way.

I just thought I'd add in what i heard about this. Maybe somebody else knows more?

Guest peachy

Tal, this is called "computer-adaptive testing" and, for example, the GRE is always adminstered this way. I don't know anything about computerized MCATs, though.

Archived