Premed 101 Forums

Organic

Guest mitchie41

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there mitchie41,

I took organic chemistry two summers ago and then wrote the MCAT immediately thereafter. I tell you, the summer was pretty intense, but the organic chemistry that I learned in the course stayed with me very nicely for that section of the MCAT--so much so that I gleefully tackled the orgo questions first! I think it was a matter of really knowing those reactions inside and out, and thus, knowing the material well enough to do well in the course. If you can do well in the course then the organic chemistry on the MCAT (given that this is an intro organic chemistry course that you may be considering, i.e., covering the same organic topics as those found on the MCAT) should not be a problem.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mitchie41

A few schools(I.E. UBC and U of T) have recent changed their 2nd year organic chem courses(for non-chemistry majors) from full year to half year.

Does this mean that orgo chem is a lot easier than it was before?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

I took the last full year iteration of the organic course at UT. Now that course is split into two: hydrocarbon-type reactions and carbonyls. (I'm not sure what the course codes are any more.) You used to need both halves to have ample knowledge for the MCAT, but now that the MCAT has changed a little with respect to organic chemistry content, I'm not sure how much of both courses you need. It would be a good idea to find the posting with the information regarding the organic content--I believe it's on the AAMC site.

Good luck!

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ryguy

I took Org chem for 2 yrs back in '95-'96 and hadn't looked at anything organic since then ( totally unrelated job). I bought a Cole's Notes type book 4 months before I wrote the MCAT last year, and learned everything I needed to know - sort of.

I didn't remember anything before I bought the book - and I needed to consult many different types of material before the subject 'clicked' for me. The Kaplan books gave me a focal point for my studies for the MCAT and that's what I went for.

I suppose my suggestion is - not to be hung up on taking a class at a strategic time to remember the material - unless you are a whiz and great memory etc. It took me a while, and hours of different learning methods for it to sink in. I found my version of the MCAT to be very Org Chem intensive, so understanding is key, because I don't think I had all of it memorized. I did well enough on the MCAT.

Just another p.o.v., but I learned more in 4 months on my own then 2 years in class. Maybe that's just a testimony to how thick my skull is! cheers - and good luck no matter what.

Archived