Premed 101 Forums

Crystal ball anyone?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

On reading the latest post in this sector of the discussion group it made me think of something: given that the MCAT marks as of this year will be reported differently (aggregate vs. separate scores) and given that Ontario schools have typically requested only your last MCAT performance, I wonder how the marks will be judged by the Ontario (or other) schools in the next round of applications? Queen's, for example, will no longer be able to specify that 10 on VR, although they will be able to maintain their 30 total; UWO, who knows; UofT: the three 9s stipulation will be futile.

Additionally, I wonder how schools will treat writers of the 2003 MCAT versus those who wrote in prior years? Just aggregate the score for those pre-2003-ers and treat them all equally?

Lastly, (and this is primarily just a wondering out loud) the new score reporting format may result in an increase in the GPA requirement in those schools who use the MCAT as a means to whittle the applicant pool (primarily Queen's and UWO), since there will probably be more folks who score say, 30, but who do not have a 10 in VR. Alternatively, the schools may look to increase the writing sample cut-off to compensate for the "loss" of the verbal reasoning mark to make for more manageable numbers.

Has anyone heard any rumblings or have any ideas?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

The change in reporting an aggregate score does not mean they are going to stop reporting individual sections - it just means that they're going to also add'em up for people. I don't really understand why this is a big deal from the AAMC point of view, nor why it would actually change anything in terms of requirements at med schools.

peachy

Archived