Premed 101 Forums

old MCAT

Guest realfriend

Guest realfriend

My question concerns the MCAT before 1991:

1.) I heard there were 6 sections--is that right?

2.) If so, what were they?

3.) How many passages per section?

4.) How much time per section?

5.) What was the highest possible score?

6.) How do scores before 1991 compare to those after 1991? For example, how does an 10 or 11 in 1988 compare to a 10 or 11 in 2002?

I have no idea what the pre-1991 MCAT looked like and I don't think that you will find too many people around that do. (These people would have applied to med schools 11 years ago!) MCAT scores are only good for a maximum of five years (some schools only take scores that are three years old or newer). So, if you wrote the 1991 MCAT, you would no longer be able to count those scores. You would have to re-write the MCAT and get a new set of scores.

Therefore, what the scores, format etc of the old MCAT are/were is pretty irrelevant. Nobody can use those scores to apply anymore so you will not be competing against anyone that wrote a different test format. I don't know if the scores compare but they WON"T be compared for the purposes of admission - so don't worry about it!

Guest therealcrackers

Also, because they've changed the format so much since then, any practice exams and questions from back then are less useful than the more modern stuff. I wrote it for the first time in 1993, and it really hasn't changed that much since then... ;)

Guest realfriend

Hi,

Sorry if I confused some of you on this topic...I am just curious...that's all. I am a sophomore and just became interested in the old MCAT because of a similar discussion in another forum...

This is what I have gathered so far: Analytical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Science Problems.

I would appreciate it if any one could provide me with info concerning the time length for each section and the number of passages for each passage.

Thanks.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Okay, we're looking at only four sections nowadays, with time requirements that break down sort of like this:

(disclaimer: this does not include the "revamped" MCAT coming soon to an examination room near you!)

1. Verbal Reasoning - 85 minutes

2. Physical Sciences - 100 minutes

3. Writing Sample - 2 x 30 minutes

4. Biological Sciences - 100 minutes

There's a couple of breaks and a lunch thrown in there too, but I didn't care enough to think about including them. That's the goods from when I wrote the MCAT (2000) and I don't think much has really changed since then. There's talk about the winds of change blowing, but I'll believe it when I: a) see it, or B) hear about it on this forum from someone who wrote such an exam. Hope this helps and best of luck in your quest!

Timmy

Realfriend,

I don't think too many of us will be able to tell you that kind of info...in 1991 I was 11 years old....I didn't even know of the MCAT let alone the specifics of its format.....I think most people who post here were similarly clueless about the ins and outs of applying to med at that time....either because they hadn't even made it to high school yet or because they were involved in persuing other careers.....I wish you luck in your search but it might be difficult to find those kind of specifics out!

Guest therealcrackers

Did you try the AAMC website? They may have the antiquated information.

Or maybe some doc from the last generation who still cherishes their MCAT score and has it framed in a basement somewhere... :D

Guest realfriend

Actually, yes I did try AAMC. It is not on their site, so I was able to obtain the following email: MCAT@aamc.org and I emailed them, but it has been about 1 week and I have not received a response.

If any one can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

• 2 months later...
Guest walkorbike

Hello,

I checked the AAMC website today and read about the changes that will be made on the upcoming MCAT. Some of the main ones are an increase in questions about molecular biology, a trimming of some of the organic questions (goodbye Alkenes, Benzene, Phenols and Ethers), and a shorter VR section. Here is the link:

www.aamc.org/students/mca...tm#content

VR is shorter in number of questions but not in the number of passages....so I doubt that it will really make that big a difference in the time factor....apparently they are going to be able to distinguish between a 13,14 and 15 on the new VR section which they haven't done for years. (Highest score has been 13-15). The reason that they didn't used to distinguish the three highest scores was because there apparently weren't any 'difficult' enough questions to distinguish the top scorers from each other... I guess that the new version, while it will have a few less questions, will also have some 'killers' that are more difficult than any found on the old MCAT VR section....

Another change to be noted on the new MCAT: you will no longer be able to not release a score to a school if you rewrite. So, if you write the MCAT twice and want to use the later score, the schools are going to automatically get ALL of your scores (complete disclosure of testing history) whether you like it or not....bye-bye to 'not releasing' and so-called 'practice writings' of the MCAT!

Archived