Premed 101 Forums

A sign of the future?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hey folks, dig this...

I just hopped on to the AAMC website to see how I could go about signing up for that early score release option and here's something which caught my attention. Why restrict this to Europe I ask?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

"New Computer-Based MCAT

London, England: August 17, 2002

We're pleased to announce a revolutionary new way of taking the MCAT. For the first time anywhere, the MCAT will be administered by computer at a pilot testing center in London, England. Scores obtained under this administration will be considered equivalent to those from paper-and-pencil administration and also marked to indicate that the examinee took it in a different format. Scores are anticipated to be mailed in approximately 30 days, as opposed to the traditional 60 day timeline.

Due to the initial response to this opportunity, a second testing center in nearby Twickenham has been added to accomodate additional test takers. The registration date has been extended to August 15th, until 6pm CET (Central Europe Time). Seats are available on a first come, first serve basis."

Guest Richardo Xavier

I could cream the writing sample with this since I type a ton faster than I write and don't have to worry about my

chicken-scratch handwriting. ;)

-Richie

sitting in front of a computer screen for 8 hours would be awful... esp. for the verbal reasoning section.

i know that the GMAT is computer based. Is the GMAT format to the MCAT -ie. passsage based- or is it short answer?

short answer wouldn't be so bad.

yah i agree with richie, typing should be an option for those of us whose handwriting is indecipherable.

man i wished i had done my homework in grade 2 when they taught cursive....

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there pp15,

The GMAT used to have some components that were akin to the MCAT, i.e., a VR section as well as an essay or two (if I recall correctly, it's been awhile since I wrote it.). Apparently the computerized version of the GMAT is interesting. They give you increasingly difficult questions and if you obtain the correct answer, you move onto a question of greater difficulty. If you give an incorrect answer you stay at the same level of difficulty, and it goes on from there until you run out of time.

One of the beauties of the computerized GMAT is that you can take it at almost any time. That would be an interesting feature of a future MCAT.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the folks in the UK who "write" it on computer this Saturday. Anyone know of any?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Richardo Xavier

Brainbench.com utilizes the same Computer Adaptive Testing for their certification tests. You couldn't do that with the MCAT because it wouldn't quite be standardized because one could argue that each student taking the Computerized MCAT would have a "different" experience. In addition, one could reason out how one did by gauging the difficulty of every sequential.

A computerized MCAT would be nice. I'd be able to write my writing sample alot faster hehehe

-Richie

Archived