Premed 101 Forums

prereq. to third year majors

Guest dentisthopeful

Guest dentisthopeful

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the 6 credit of 1st year physics that's a prereq to most bio related majors (pharmocology, biochemistry, etc). Is it possible to defer 3 credits until the 2nd year? Would it add more stress to a already stressful 2nd year courseload (33 credits)? The thing is, I might apply to pharmacy at the end of the 1st year, which require only Phys 101, so that's why I'm considering taking only 3 credit of phys in first year. thanks for any advice

Guest mitchie41

YES.

It is possible to defer these credits until 3rd year. But as I recall, the faculty of science has some rule about only allowing you to defer 3 lower-level credits before being promoted to third year. So, you should contact them for more info regarding this. It could just apply to computing requirements.

Taking 33 credits during second year is tough! Especially with all the material in courses like MICB 202, CHEM 233, and BIOL 201. You should try to finish PHYS in your first year if you can, because if you don't get into pharmacy, you're stuck in a really tough situation in second year.

Guest dentisthopeful

thanks for the reply. How tough is getting into pharmacy? I mean, among the first year science students, is it a popular choice? Also, does phys 102, which is the other 3 credit I intend to take, use a lot of calculus?

Guest kooty

Hi there,

Pharmacy as a major is definitely growing in popularity. The applicants have been steadily increasing by about 100-200 applicants each year (right now it is sitting at about 600-700 applicants for about 140 positions) Admission is not based entirely on marks but extracurriculars, PCAT and references. I would not advise you to go into pharmacy if you are planning to go into med because they have changed the curriculum entirely this past year and it's very intense. It's an excellent program and the faculty are fantastic, but if you are not willing to work very very hard to keep up your grades and still make timre for extracurriculars, I would choose something else. Hope that helps.

Guest mitchie41

Physics 102 is a lot tougher than 101(as reflected by the class averages). You do need to know some calculus, like Gauss' Law and all the other magnetism\electric field laws use integration to find the magnetic fields of surfaces. But they derive most of the formulas for you, so you can get by with just knowing the final results of the deravations.

And also, PHYS 102 is scaled up A LOT.

Guest smooth operater

33 credita during second yr is tough? I think it's pretty standard for 2nd yr students. It's about 5 course per term.

Guest kooty

FYI, 1st year pharmacy is 39 credits, 2nd year is 42....

It's busy! But lab for example is separate credits from lectures...so it's not so bad

Archived