Premed 101 Forums

Stat 200

Guest dentisthopeful

Guest dentisthopeful

Hi, I'm an incoming first year student. I might have IB transfer credit for a full year of math and chem 121. I'm just wondering is it safe to skip 1st year math and take stat 200? It requires math 103 Integral Calculus as a prereq. But does this course use a lot of calculus and is it hard in general? Also, do you recommend skipping chem 121 Structural Chemistry?

Guest threeputt

STAT200 was one of the easiest courses that I took at UBC. I don't remember there being any integral calculus involved. I did pretty bad in Calculus, so I know it didn't help me much in STAT.

If you have transfer credit, math may be worthwhile to skip, as it's not really involved in later life science courses, but I wouldn't skip CHEM, cuz a lot of the info from that class is useful in the MCAT (maybe the DAT too, I dunno), plus IMHO, it's a much more interesting class than MATH. Of course, if you plan on taking any upper level courses in math, physics, chem, i would take the intro courses too. They are much more in depth than IB and will give you a better understanding for the upper-level courses. That's just me though - maybe you are a better learner!

Guest physiology

Hey

Stats 200 requires no integral calculus what so ever. Basically, if a course is "recommended" the prof is not allowed (or not supposed to) include material from that "recommended course."

However, the individual prof may assign a question that may be much easier if you understand a particular concept of calculus, such as Riemann sums for instance.

Stats 200 is a great course. It'll really come in handy if you land a research position. It's also not that difficult and my prof was great (Isabella Ghement).

Guest not rex morgan

I only have a vague recollection of Stat 200, but from what I do remember, there is NO calculas in it. Interesting course, and one of the few at UBC where the lab is the most useful part of the class. (ie, go to the labs!) I did very well in it, and just squeaked by in Calc. I agree with the above, if you are planning on taking upper level math, take lower level math. If not, take any excuse to run screaming away from Calc at UBC. I took Calc in highschool and did well, but loathed first-year math at UBC.

Guest mitchie41

Hey....Stat 200 was the EASIEST class that i've ever taken at UBC, and you learn so much from it.

They make it seem like you need to know integral calculus, but you don't need to know anything beyond math 12. The most hardcore thing was using partial derivativies to derive the linear regression formula, and we were never really expected to know that. They just showed it to us(presumably to scare us like in most other math courses where the prof goes over some huge deravation and the students only really have to know the final result).

I had the "other" prof, Mamon, who taught the course with the prof that physiology had. Mamon was a great guy...basically told us what was gonna be on the MT and what types of questions to study and know how to solve.

Guest physiology

Yes, so my post and Mitchie41's post lend credence to the fact that courses in second term are much more enjoyable!

Bottomline, I highly recommend stats 200.

I believe the average in our class (of 125 students) was 89%. Yes, I just checked the sessional grade report on the Student Service Site, and it is 89%. However, professors are subject to change so the course may be radically different next year.

However, UBC is known to crack down on easy courses. Take the case of CLST 301, which was supposedly super easy and then made much more difficult.

Guest mitchie41

91%!!! :lol that's freaken amazing.

Our class had an average of 86% with 125 students as well.

hahahahaha

The Faculty of Science is sooooo gonna crack down on stat 200.

Guest csp0304

Question to physiology:

You took both BIOL 300 and STAT 200, even though you received credit for only one of them? I thought BIOL 300 was a required course for Physiology which cannot be substituted by STAT 200.

Of course, this is under the assumption that you ARE actually in the physiology program. :)

Honours (0266): Physiology (PHYL)

Third Year

BIOC 301, 302 6

BIOL 300 3

PHYL 301 6

PHYL 303 3

Electives 15

Total Credits 33

Guest physiology

CSP034,

My name is a bit of a misnomer. I'm actually in pharmacology, not physiology. In pharmacology, you can substitute biol 300 for stats 200.

Hope that helps.

Guest McCarey007

FYI, when I took bio 300 in Jan 2003, the class average was 64% with 171 students. :rolleyes That class average was the lowest of any of my courses since organic chem. I don't know why the prof didn't scale up the marks to a more acceptable 70%. Most upper level courses have a class average of 70-75%. Anyways, my prof was god awful and I had to work my ass off to get an A-. Unfortunately, my other courses suffered as a result.

I loathed bio 300, mainly because of the prof.

Guest smooth operater

Anyone had Peter Lui for Stat 200?

I heard he is a good prof. Too bad ubc calendar doesn't show who is teaching stat 200 sections. I can't go out ratemyprof.com to pick the best prof :( . oh well...

Guest mitchie41

The reason why you can't find out the prof is probably because the STAT dept hasn't assigned instructors to the sections yet or just haven't published them yet.

If you're really eager to find out who the profs for each section are, you can email the STAT undergraduate advisor, Lang Wu to find out. Just go to http://www.stat.ubc.ca and look him up.

Guest smooth operater

hey thanx! Stat 200 will be probably the last math-based course I will be taking after taking 3 courses on Caculus. Therefore, I would like to sell my Calculus, but I am worried that I might need it as reference for this course. Do I really need my Calculus textbooks anymore?

thanx!

Archived