Premed 101 Forums

Returning to school...need advice

Guest Teleute

Guest Teleute

Hi...a friend of mine is returning to school after a number of years with hopes of eventual med school (his initial degrees are in English and Philosophy). He'd like to take the MCAT as soon as he can. What would be a good plan of attack for him (course-wise)? Meaning, he'd want to refresh in Calc, prolly some Physics, Bio, etc...but can anyone help me define it a bit more clearly? Thanks!

-Allison

Guest TimmyMax

Hey there,

Well, when writing the MCAT, you'll (ideally) want to have courses in 1st year Chem, Physics and Biology, as well as a course in Organic Chemistry. Additional courses in physiology, biochemistry and something requiring formal essays wouldn't hurt either, but it is not unusual to score well on the MCAT without these courses (I wrote myself without Biochem and did alright). Depending on what options/resources your friend has available, he/she may want to look into a prep course, like Princeton Review or Kaplan.

I wouldn't worry too much about calculus, though- the MCAT won't test you on any of that stuff! Realistically, you'd be looking at a minimum of one school year plus a summer, asssuming that Intro Chem is both a full-year course and a prereq for Organic Chem, which your friend could pick up over the summer. Then he/she could write MCAT in August with the majority of these courses still fresh in his/her mind!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived