Premed 101 Forums

Rewrite or not?

Guest MCAT Advice

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe that both Queen's and Western require at least a 10 in VR. You've still made the minimums for Toronto, so whether or not to rewrite depends on where you want to go. Either way, you still qualify for Mac, Ottawa and Toronto in Ontario, so that's not too shabby. Unfortunately, the VR requirements for Queen's and Western are a little higher, but they change every year depending on the applicant pool. Best of luck!

Timmy

As Tim said, Queen's also needs a 10 VR. Western doesn't require a 10 VR, but you need a 21 total in verbal and writing (where J=4, T=14). So an 8R just misses the cutoff by one point... Have you already applied this year? If not, it might be worth a rewrite next year. However, keep in mind that this would only be for two schools - you're still in good shape for any other Canadian school, so that should certainly weigh into your decision. Good luck!

here are my scores

VR 9

PS 8

BS 10

WS "S"

I'm thinking about writing in April, but I'm not sure... I know I can improve my Physical science score, and probably my verbal.

Any suggestions?

tony.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Just my two cents' worth about rewrite in your case. While yes, you may be able to improve your PS and VR scores, in my opinion, there really isn't a need for it- you have a great BS and WS score! Assuming you are applying to Ontario schools, the only one you wouldn't qualify for is Queen's (minimum VR=10, PS=9(?), sum of at least 30). Your score is good enough for both Toronto and Western(9S=22), and as you know, Mac and Ottawa don't require MCAT. So rewriting or not depends on where you want to go- if you really want to go to a school where the MCAT requirements are higher, then yes, a rewrite is in order, but if you have no preference, I wouldn't bother. I'm in the same boat myself- an MCAT score I could probably improve on if I wanted to, but since I've made the cutoffs for the schools I'm interested in, there's no real reason to subject myself to the horror...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived