Premed 101 Forums

Help needed for releasing scores;

Guest rainnoodle

Guest rainnoodle

Hi guys, I just wanted to know something..

Im taking my MCat this Aug, but will not be applying until Oct 2002...I was just wondering, is there a difference whether i release my scores now, or later (besides the extra fees to AAMC)?

I mean, I just want to make sure I do well. If I bomb this MCAT and I hold the scores, and then I retake the MCAT next Aug and do well and then choose to release my scores, will the med schools see all the scores (including the one I chose not to release)?

If they would see all my scores, then what's the purpose of saying that your dont want to relase your scores on test day?

I just want to cover my a*s, but I dont know if thats possible...any suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Ian Wong

I think that most likely you will want to re-release your scores to all the medical schools when you genuinely apply in Fall 2002. As far as I know, there isn't any guarantee that a med school would automatically roll over your MCAT marks from Aug 2001 into your application attempt in 2002, so it seems to me that the best course is to release the scores at that time.

I don't know whether filling out an ASR (Additional Score Release) at the AAMC will lead to them sending out just your most recent MCAT score, or all of them. If you really want to know, call them up and ask.

In either event, I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference. Medical schools see many applicants each year who have repeated their MCAT. Heck, one of my classmates wrote the darn thing four times! The bottom line is that if your scores meet the cut-offs for the medical schools you are applying to, you'll do just fine.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived