Premed 101 Forums

Seeking prep advice

Guest Andrew

Guest Andrew

Well, it's August, MCAT time. The folks who are taking theirs on the 18th probably don't have much time to be checking out newsgroups, but if you've taken the MCAT or are about to, I could use some advice.

I'm slowly ramping up my studying for the April exams and so I figure I might as well ask everyone who's just been through (or is almost through!) the prep work that I'm just beginning - what worked best for you? What would you do differently? How much time did you spend each day, roughly (I know this varies from person to person, but any advice will help)?

thanks for your time,

Andrew

OK, here goes. I just finished 2nd year, and took orgo, molecular bio, and physio. I started preparing at the end of May, and am taking the Princeton Review's MCAT course. I'm also working full time this summer, so until this week and next week (which I have off), I basically had enough free time to keep up with the assigned readings, do some of the assigned practice science passages, and do about 3 sets of verbal passages (9 at at time) per week. I guess that would come out to 15-20 hours a week excluding classes/tests. I've been getting 34-35 on my past 2 diagnostics, but will be satisfied as long as I can make the cutoffs for all Ontario schools. Will you be in school while you study for next year's MCAT? If so, studying for it (even if you're not taking an MCAT course) would essentially be another course on top of your usual schoolwork. I'm guessing that your final exams would also take place around the time of the MCAT, so make sure you can fit it in without burning yourself out. Good luck...

Guest Andrew

Yeah, Jeff, I'll be going to school at the same time. I found the Princeton Review site (review.com). It looks pretty good, I liked that they give a guarantee, not sure what they mean by "If you're not satisfied with your results, we'll work with you again for free", but I guess I can ask. So, are you happy then with the course so far? I see they have tutoring as well, which would make studying more flexible, but I don't think I'll go that route.

thnx

The guarantee they have is that if you go to all the lectures (they're actually reasonably flexible over this part) and do the homework, then if you don't like your score you can go back and do a refresher course with them at no charge. I think the course is pretty good so far, though I'll reserve my judgement for how I feel after the test this Saturday, and what I end up with when I receive my scores in October. The materials are pretty good, and you do 5 practice tests, including AAMC IV and V. My instructor's a knowledgeable guy, and is also available outside of class for as much extra help as you need (included as part of the course fees).

Archived