Premed 101 Forums

housing in PG

Guest northpole

Guest northpole

I'm wondering if anyone out there has good ideas about housing near UNBC (or whether the residences on campus are a good bet?!). I just sent off an e-mail to the housing manager for the unversity, in order to get some info about the student residences, but would also like to look elsewhere (off campus).

I already did student residence once at UVic and not sure if I feel like doing it again!! :b

Thanks for any helpful info out there....

Guest FastEddy

hey northpole

Im going into my second year at UNBC and lived in the residences at the school last year, but this year I'm going ot get an apartment down in the city. I'm headed down there next weekend to check out apts. and perhaps townhouses and the like.

I'll let you know what I find out in terms of what is available. I know that a few new apt building were under construction when I left in April.

Ciao

Guest northpole

Hey fasteddy,

thank you for the tip! By the way, how was residence? Were the suites okay? And what were the students like there? I'm wondering if living in residence would be a good choice for an "older" student (I'm 29) like me-- who wants a pretty mellow atmosphere.

:)

And I'd also really appreciate an update on the apartment searching! Thanks again!

Guest iddle

Hey, if you want more detailed info on what is available up here send me an email. I know the market quite well and can probably be helpful.

Guest northpole

Hey iddle,

I'm sending a message to your EZ inbox!

Thanks for offering to help!

northpole... (ha ha, guess why I picked that username!?)

Guest geckoUBC

If I were going to med school in Prince George (I wish :P ), I would definitely try to rent a house with a couple other students. You can rent a decent house for a great price here (at least compared to what I saw in Vancouver) - just have a look in the paper, there are tons of listings.

I also strongly recommend having a CAR in Prince George. The bus service is pretty weak and UNBC is on a big hill that isn't so much fun to bike up.>: >:

Guest northpole

Hi Gecko,

Thanks for the info on PG housing. Ooooh- you think a car is really necessary? I was hoping I could get away without one. I guess we'll see...

I'd really be into renting a house with anyone out there who's in the NMP! I know it's quite a ways away (til we head over there in Jan.), but I'm just putting this out there...

:)

Guest soapyslicer

What about car pooling. I don't know where we will buy a house yet as the one we had our eye on sold before we found out about acceptance but I will be happy to car pool with anyone in the area. Of course it is a little ways away but I hope my car will still be running at that point. We will have to see how much it likes the cold weather!!!

soapy

Guest PGmed

Hey Soapy,

Your car pooling idea sounds great. I would definitely be interested. I just bought a house in the Heart, so I'll be coming in from the North.

Good luck on looking for a house. The market here is really picking up (15% in the past 6 months!). A couple of the houses my wife and I were interested in sold within a couple days of being posted. Prices are rising, but there are still plenty of bargains to be found. It turns out the mortgage payments on our large newly renovated house will be half what our rent was in a small one bedroom apartment near UBC.

-Brian

Guest soapyslicer

HI PGmed

I know what you mean about stuff picking up. We too have been looking in the same area. Had one all picked out prior to actually finding out. Unfortunately it sold a week before the infamous envelope arrived. It was out on Otway road exactly what we thought we wanted. We have been rethinking it as we have 2 girls and I don't want them to have to take a bus home from school. It would be nice for them to build a large group of friends who live in the neighbourhood.

I think we will be heading up within the next few weeks to decide on a place. Just figuring out the logistics as we want to leave the kids at home. Probably means after the school year.

Are you keeping your place until december. I may have a few rooms at my place(4 bedroom) if the kids head up for september. Not sure what I want to do about it all.

Have you met with MD Management yet. I highly recommend it whether you want to do you loc or not. We were pre-approved for our morgage and they got us a lower interest rate. As well Kari Woo was fantastic and laying out insurance and all sorts of other stuff. When I get a moment I am going to write a posting on it.

Are you coming to the meeting and dinner afterwards on the 15th. My spouse is coming as well if you want to come out and meet everyone.

soapy

Guest SonoftheSon

Hi Soapy and PGMed,

I just discovered this forum and decided to jump in.

Congrats on being accepted to the NMP; I look forward to meeting you!

My wife and I have a Realtor friend doing some groundwork for us in PG but unfortunately we won't be able to make it up there until the first week of July. That doesn't leave much time, but being the purchaser often gives one the trump card for possession dates!

We're looking in the College Heights and Heritage Foothills areas and are considering a place with a suite. We want to ensure that we are able to find compatible tenant(s), however, which could be the deciding factor in what we purchase. A fellow med-student(s) would be great!

Another concern is housing in Van for the first semester...any input there?

Cheers,

The Son

Guest northpole

Hi there The Son--

Don't worry, I didn't feel left out from your message! Congratulations on your acceptance into the NMP. That's fantastic that it was your first choice!

I will be looking for a place to live starting January... so I don't know if you'll be looking for a tenant to move in then?! I still am not sure what I will do-- I was thinking of moving into the student residences but have been advised against that (and have also already had the experience of living in res. first year-- don't know if I want to do it again...).

Perhaps we will talk sometime during school (unless you are coming to the dinner after the financial info session, and I would see you then).

:) again, congratulations on your acceptance. See you in a week, or in August!

Northpole

Guest SonoftheSon

I agree Northpole; I don't think that Res would be the best place to be.

As far as January goes, that wouldn't be a problem, but would you be living in PG year round, or leaving in the summer?

I think the dinner is a great idea...unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the session, so we'll have to talk later.

Do you have any suggestions about housing in Van for the first semester?

Thanks,

Son

Guest PGmed

Hey Soapy,

Thanks for the tip about MD management.

That’s a shame about finding out just after the house sold. We too were looking at some places near by in the Miworth/Otway area. In the end we decided not to go that route, as we didn’t want to spend all our time driving.

I am sure no matter where you live, your children will make close friends. Prince George is great that way. But living close to school and town does hold some major advantages, especially in terms of extra school activities.

With the way the local market has become it really helps if you have a real-estate agent helping you. If you don’t already have an agent, I highly recommend Elaine Kienzle. doucetterealty.com/elaine_kienzle.asp

It sounds like you are planning to keep your house for the fall. Is it right in Vancouver and are you planning to rent part of it out? If so, my wife and I might be interested.

Hey Northpole: If you are looking for an alternative to student residence, I know someone that stayed in a fairly nice apartment building just down the hill from the university on 15th and Foothills. For $520/month you get a two bedroom apartment with a balcony. It’s half price during the summer months. They say it’s a ten minute walk up the hill to UNBC, but there is a bus stop right out side that goes straight to the hospital or the university. The place is called Carriage House, I could easily get you the phone number if you like.

I’ll see you guys at the dinner on the 15th.

Brian

Guest soapyslicer

PGmed,

Are you bringing your spouse to the meeting and dinner? I know I will be. Remind me at the dinner to talk to you about living arrangements. We should a better idea by then. Congrats for getting in!

soapy

Guest PGmed

Hey Soapy,

No, unfortunate my wife can’t make it down for the dinner. She would love to come, but she has just started a new job at the hospital here in PG, and can’t take the time off. Lucky for me, this dinner seems to be perfectly timed with the dates I’m making the big move to PG.

Who knows, Perpaps we can all get together in a week or two when you guys are up looking at houses?

Brian

Guest northpole

Hi there,

Too bad you can't come to the dinner and financial information session. We will meet another time:)

As for housing in Vancouver-- I wish I could give you a specific answer. I can tell you that renting in Vancouver right now should be a piece of cake, since it is really a renters' market right now (lots to choose from). Since you'll be at UBC lots, you should look around in Kitsilano (it's close by) or the Point Grey area. The only problem you might have is that you will only be renting for 4 months and often landlords/building managers want at least a one year lease. You could try shared accomodation (ie. with other UBC students) since I don't think they make you sign leases for the most part. Go to http://www.canada.com for real estate rentals in Vancouver.

I'm sorry I can't give you any more details than that. If I hear of anyone who needs a roommate for that time, I will let you know.

see you soon,

northpole

Guest mlongpre

Hi guys,

I know a lot of people are going to be leaving after Dec to go to Vic or UNBC. I have a place to live for the first semester but after that I will be needing a room to rent for the second semester So if anyone is looking for someone to split the year with and let me know.

Michelle:D

Guest SonoftheSon

Thanks allot for the info Northpole,

It's nice to know that it is a renters market, that should make things a little easier.

After reading about the dinner, I'm feeling a little sad that I can't make it.:( Oh well, we'll all meet soon enough!

Until then, enjoy, and high fives to all!

Son

Hey Michelle,

are you in the City now? What kind of place are you looking for and with how many room-mates? I'm in the NMP and need a spot for the first 4 months, and would for sure be interested in splitting a place for the year, as long as we're looking for the same thing!

Guest mlongpre

Hi Dirk,

I'm pretty flexable about where I live. I would like to find a place somewhat close to campus and not too expensive. I'd rather not have a 100 roommates, but a few is alright. Have you started looking yet? I was told the best thing to do is to go out to UBC and pick up some flyers.

Archived