Premed 101 Forums

Gift for electives preceptor?

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

Hi,

My electives preceptor has given me 4 weeks of her time in a busy clinic. I understand that she is not being compensated for this at all. I am wondering what an appropriate gift/thank you would be. I was thinking along the lines of a toy diagnostic kit to entertain her younger patients in the waiting room. I am very curious as to what others have done in the past. There is also a secretary and nurse in the office who have been very kind to me all month.

WM

• 7 months later...
Guest Paregorics2

I had a similar situation whereby an elective preceptor took me on for 4 weeks and treated me as part of his staff. I gave him a Fondue Maker and a box of chocolates from Laura Secord. As for the rest of his staff (nurse, secretary, wife) I gave them all a box of chocolates.

Not only was he very appreciative, but he unnecessarily gave me a gift certificate for a $100 at a fancy restaurant in town.

While not expecting anything in return, it showed how much he appreciated my thoughtfulness as I had appreciated his.

hope that helps.>: >:

• 11 months later...
Hi,

My electives preceptor has given me 4 weeks of her time in a busy clinic. I understand that she is not being compensated for this at all. I am wondering what an appropriate gift/thank you would be. I was thinking along the lines of a toy diagnostic kit to entertain her younger patients in the waiting room. I am very curious as to what others have done in the past. There is also a secretary and nurse in the office who have been very kind to me all month.

WM

Hi there,

I find that a Starbucks card is always appreciated for my preceptor, or in the case of one preceptor who I got to know quite well during our OR time together, a small collection of magazines covering subjects of common interest to us, but which she had not yet discovered or read. As for the rest of the health care team, I've often bought a wee box of Ferrero Rochers and they have always disappeared, piranha-style, within about 45 seconds.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived