Premed 101 Forums

UBC clerkship electives

Guest cassica

Guest cassica

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question for those who have applied for an Emergency elective at UBC. I just applied for an elective at 1)St Paul's 2) Vancouver Hospital and 3) Richmond in my order of preference. The trouble is they don't consider non-UBC students for electives at the first two hospitals until all the UBC students have had a crack at those spots. So, I was wondering whether any of those spots are ever left over for no-UBC students? If not, I will have them process my application for my third choice. Anyone have experience in this regard?

thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There is a UBC policy that is stated on their elective website that they will give preference to UBC students during certain, but not all, months of the year. For example, March and May are months when out-of-province students can secure electives on a first-come-first-served basis and not have to await the choices of UBC students first. Does this not hold for EM electives too? If it does, then I would recommend, whenever possible, to try to arrange UBC electives during the months where you don't have to wait in line behind UBC students.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Mimimowmow

Can I also ask another stupid question here?

I had tried to look for an elective catalogue on UBC's website, but all they have is list of hospital and major specialties. Do they not have a detail program under each major specialties that I can look for?

Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Many medical schools don't really elaborate to the extent of the likes of UofT when it comes to describing their electives. UBC is one such school that takes the minimalist approach. At UofT, for instance, there are a multitude of General Surgery electives, all individually described. On the contrary, at UBC, anyone who wishes to complete a General Surgery elective in Vancouver generally has to do the time with the Hepatobiliary folks, so little description is needed nor provided.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest extrachromasome

Has anyone done the community hospital electives offered by UBC to international students. I'd be curious to see how they found the experience. Thanks.

Archived