Premed 101 Forums

Rural rotations

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

I am just wondering if, other than family medicine, it is possible to do clerkship rotations in rural locations. If so, which rotations are these? I know it depends on the school, but I am interested in hearing about different schools and different programs.

Thanks,

WM

Guest therealcrackers

You can do psych, family, obstetrics and paediatrics outside of the tertiary care centres at UWO.

Psych: Stratford, St. Thomas, and Sarnia are available (plus Windsor and London)

Family: all over the southwest, plus ROMP, NOMP, NEP.

OB: Chatham

Paeds: Stratford and Sarnia.

Guest UWOMED2005

Aneliz and crackers. . . I can't remember the details about this so feel free to shoot me down, but can't you also do some of your surgery block at UWO at a smaller center (ie St. Thomas)?

I don't remember anybody in 2005 taking this option. . . so I might not remember the details correctly, but I seem to remember that being offered in the clerkship manual.

Other than that. . . I have no clue what to add. . . aneliz and crackers seem to have covered the bases!

Guest therealcrackers

As far as I know, there is no rural block available for surgery (teaching being a priority of that rotation), not can you do core medicine or medicine electives as a rural block.

Guest windymountain2003

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am hoping that my own school will expand on its rural rotation offerings by the time I start clerkship, and having your input/concrete examples should help me in swaying the clerkship directors decisions.

WM

• 3 months later...

Archived