Premed 101 Forums

Planning electives

Guest moo

OK, this might be a bit premature, but third year for us ends mid June, and we get two weeks off before fourth year begins. Today, during our day of touchy feely classes, there was a class on career development/electives planning which got me thinking. So I am interested in anesthesiology, but I also haven't ruled out GI/internal med. I only have 16 weeks of electives fourth year, and what do programs in anesthesiology and internal med want to see? I am doing anesthesiology and GI at UBC, for 8 of those 16 weeks. I am also planning on doing a rads rotation here at Northwestern. So that leaves only four weeks left. Our school also makes us do an ICU rotation fourth year for four weeks (which is good because it's good experience for anesthesiology) and a sub-internship in internal medicine for six weeks. Should I do another anesthesiology rotation here or elsewhere (maybe obstetrics anesthesia)? I was interested in that during my ob/gyn clerkship) Or should I do another medicine rotation in cards or something?

Guest endingsoon

It kinda depends on what school you want to go to. I only got 12 weeks pre-carms electives, but found that it was enough if you rationed it correctely.

The most important thing is to use that last few weeks and do them at a school you want to go to. If you want to do something in Toronto or London for example, doing all your electives out west won't still to well come interview time.

Once you figure out where, then you move onto what. Anesth. is more competative than IM, but you have already done core GIM and a month of GI, plus that 6 week sub-speciality block. Thats a lot of interest there. On the other hand, you have only done a month of anesth., so you may want to focus some time there.

Guest therealcrackers

One of the electives at Western is a joint anaesthesia/critical care elective. Four weeks, two weeks of each --- might be subject to change for next year, but it spans a whole lot of internal medicine and anaesthesia. There is also a similar trauma/ER and critical care crossover elective. If there is something comparable in Vancouver, or better yet a really busy regional trauma centre in the States, and you can find a supervisor, that combination in one elective might suit your needs.

• 9 months later...

Archived