Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba Town to Pay Medical Student's Tuition

Guest marbledust

Guest marbledust

I found this interesting story on the CBC website about the contact made between a town in Manitoba and a student bound for a Hungarian medical school. The town will pay the tution costs for 4 years and the student agrees to practice in the area for 4 years upon completing a family medicine residency. Raises a whole bunch of interesting questions...

www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/11/mb-doctraining.html

Guest aneliz

Makes the concept of IMG's and matching an interesting one... I would love to see what happens if he ends up doing a residency in Hungary too....

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Kind of a waste if (s)he can't come back here and practice! Just a (very real) thought!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest marbledust
Kind of a waste if (s)he can't come back here and practice! Just a (very real) thought!

That's why I thought the story was so interesting. My guesses:

1) The town is so desperate for a doc that they are willing to take the (huge) risk that this student will be one of the lucky IMGs that do get to practice here...although I wouldn't guess many from this particular school have pulled it off. Nothing against the school...

2) The powers that be in the town have some insider knowledge about impending changes to carms and/or the provincal college in Manitoba that will make it likely that he/she will indeed be practicing there 6-7 years from now.

I wonder if the money will have to be repaid if it falls through and the student can't practice in Canada.

Guest Ian Wong

This is a really bizarre story. Why wouldn't you sponsor someone going to U of M, who definitely would have the ability to obtain a Canadian residency and practice rights? Going to a Hungarian medical school, there's no guarantee that this individual ever will have the ability to practice medicine in Canada.

Ian

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Do you suppose it's possible that the town doesn't even know that this might be an issue? I mean if you're in Medicine it's common knowledge, but not for the general public. A doctor's a doctor, right? And if you passed the tests, what's the problem? Coming from a very small town myself, their Town Council's aren't always known for their well thought-out decisions (my town ruled that new developments would no longer contain parks in order to cut down on the costs of public lawn maintenance 8o ). I don't know how big Boissevain is, and you'd hope they did their homework in such an investment, but you never know...

Guest northerndoc

Hi,

This is a very interesting discussion to me, as I grew up an hour away from Boissevain. Knowing the town and its council, many of you have persumed right I believe... they do not know the "in's and outs" of CARMs and IMG. The town is desperate for a doc, and they have had a bad run of recruiting and moving doctors to only have them move again a few months into the rotation. The problem is the size of Boissevain (5000 people give or take), the area that the hospital serves and the @#%$ 1 in 3 call schedule that they are doing. Currently the call is shared between multiple rural hospitals as well, so you might be responsible for a hour radius or more. Perhaps the town should have invested their money in creating a fourth doctor spot, which would increase the support of the two that remain. I see no easy solution to this, but it is an interesting development.

Guest marbledust
Knowing the town and its council, many of you have persumed right I believe... they do not know the "in's and outs" of CARMs and IMG

I don't know...being from a small town myself, I can certainly attest that fact the town counsels aren't always 100% bang on when they make decisions. I guess there is a big difference between "professional" city politicians and the small town ones who do it for very little, or no, pay while holding down full-time jobs somewhere.

But, having said I can't really believe that they wouldn't have done just a wee bit of research before agreeing to foot the tution bill. I agree that the counsel (or whoever had the authority to strike the deal with the student) wouldn't likely know the intricacies of IMGs and CARMS. But surely they would have consulted somebody in the know--even if just another doctor there or in a nearby town. If they didn't, I guess there will be a lot of #$%&-ed voters when it comes out that the town is bankrolling somebody who has very little chance of coming back :lol

I wonder how accurate the article really is, though. It said the cost would be about $20,000 per year. From my extremely limited knowledge of these Eastern European medical schools that cater to North Americans, the tution cost is a lot higher.

Ian is right...why wouldn't they just try to recruit somebody from U of M or an OOP student originally from Manitoba. There has to be somebody in province who would jump at the chance for free tution. Heck, if they had asked me, I would have done it (maybe) :rollin

Guest Lurkergonepublic
I wonder how accurate the article really is, though. It said the cost would be about $20,000 per year. From my extremely limited knowledge of these Eastern European medical schools that cater to North Americans, the tution cost is a lot higher.

This is true. The media is notoriously inaccurate. I have seen several stories over the years on the news about events or issues that I knew quite a bit about, and not once have I thought the reporting was an acurate or error free piece of information. Between a different POV and intentional spin, the news is a rather unreliable source for real information.

Us students at U of M are offered return of service contracts for $20,000 given to us every year in medical school all the time. The problem is, nobody is willing to limit their options so early (even if it is a $60-80 thousand dollar bribe). The only person that I know of that has signed one of these deals signed it because they are from the particular rural town in the first place.

Archived