Premed 101 Forums

Experiences doing international electives

Guest misagh

Guest misagh

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if any medical students out there who have done a period of international electives (whether clinical or research or both) can share their experiences, what opportunities are available, where you went, what you did, any tips or suggestions re: international electives, whether or not you would do another one, what impressions you had of what you saw of the medical system wherever you were, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance...

Guest UWOMED2005

I did a month-long elective in Internal Medicine last summer in Geneva Switzerland. I posted some thoughts on my experiences here.

The easiest way to hook up a 'cushy' elective akin to an elective in Canada would be through the IFMSA - the International Federation of Medical Student Associations. They're kind of like the international medical student's council of national student councils of medical school student councils. They set up month-long electives in any of a nuber of countries - selection is usually by lottery, with the number of spots available varying school-to-school but usually around 5 spots.

If you want something more adventurous, most schools also run outreach programs where med students go to regions of the world where access to medical care is limited (not counting the current family doctor shortage in Canada :P .) UWO runs programs to Tanzania and China, but this summer it looks like the China program might be cancelled considering the current situation. :rolleyes

It's also relatively easy to set up electives in 4th year in foreign countries. But I haven't gotten there yet.

• 2 years later...

Archived