Premed 101 Forums

NBME exams

Guest Sarah371

Guest Sarah371

Has anyone written any of the NBME exams? We have to do them for internal medicine.......and all they gave us to practice were USMLE 2 questions......any hints would be much appreciated.

SARAH

Guest Ian Wong

When I went through clerkship, we had shelfs for Internal Medicine and Surgery. Since then, UBC has institituted shelfs for IM, Surg, Peds, OB/Gyn, and Psych.

The answer to the solution is that if you are going to be examined on a standardized US exam, that you prepare for them like standardized American med students would. That means hitting up the bookstore, and getting prep books for each exam. You can either buy Step 2 prep books that have an assortment of questions from each specialty, or there are specialty-specific textbooks.

The problem is that there is no one good series that fits for all specialties. For example, NMS Medicine is good but EXTREMELY dense, and the time spent:amount learned ratio is pretty poor. On the other hand, NMS OB-Gyn is an AMAZING text.

For Medicine, I bought Blueprints (Blueprints is a really popular review series in the US, and is a "condensed" textbook" with some review questions), and did ******on and Lange practice questions. I also did questions from the Pretest series, which were decent. I did pretty well on the Medicine exam, but it was also my last rotation of third year, so I'd completed 12 months of clerkship when I wrote the exam.

I think the best use of your time is to buy practice question booklets (NMS usually has questions that are pretty representative of the real thing), and only refer to textbooks when you get a question wrong to "fill in the blanks" or clarify concepts. Otherwise, there's just no other way to study (it's not like you have enough time to read through every page of Cecil's or anything).

Hope this helps,

Ian

Guest Ian Wong

EZBoard just recently banned the word "apple t" from their servers. Apparently people were using Java apple ts in their signatures and through .html links as a way of spreading pop-up ads, redirecting people off of EZBoard, and perhaps even facilitating hacking or the spread of viruses.

I'd already disabled .html and stuff on this board already, so this doesn't really help me or us out, but I guess this is a good move for EZBoard the company.

And yes, it was Apple ton and Lange; they make some decent stuff.

Ian

• 2 years later...

Archived