Premed 101 Forums

Question for moderators-

Guest XIAP

Guest summervirus

Interesting question.

I don't know the official stats. But, I just took a quick glance at my class list and I recognize 17 of them to be 2/3 years. 2 of them are from out of province.

Actually when I applied last yr (being a 3rd year OOP applicant), I was told my admissions that they accept around 25 2nd/3rd yr students out of which typically only 2 are OOP (the remaining 23 being in-province). I can count 3 3rd yr OOP students from our class off the top of my head though.

XIAP, I believe your question pertains more to how many Alberta resident APPLICANTS are 2nd/3rd yr though and that i have absolutely no clue. Good Q though.

Ssup

Guest Bighead

Your friendly admissions rep says that exactly 25 are 2/3 year total, but there's no official number saying how many of those 25 are AB residents. My guess is somewhere around 20 judging by the people I know in our class.

I am curious as to the total number of 2/3 year Alberta resident applicants in the pool at large. I know that last year there were ~400 alberta residents, with ~200 getting interviews. Since the number of seats for 2/3 years is much smaller, it is a lot more competitive, so it skews the stats for the 4 year+ cohort receiving interviews. I hope that makes sense. :)

XIAP

I don't know if this will help, but...

Last year there were 406 Alberta applicants (in total) and 540 non-Alberta applicants. Of those, 218 AB residents were interviewed and 66 OOP applicants received interviews. I BELIEVE that 60 2/3 year applicants were interviewed and 25 were accepted. Based on the premise that U of A offers 15% of the positions to 2/3 year students, that would leave about 4 seats for OOP second and third year students and the rest for 2/3 year AB residents. The only stats we have seen are these, nothing is divided into the different groups (degree/non-degree), but I hope this helps answer your question.

To answer my own question ;)

I talked to the admissions advisor (not Marlene, her assistant), and apparently there are on average ~400 2/3 year applicants. She said that "most" are from Alberta. Now considering that last year there were only 400 Alberta applicants, and only about half were interviewed, that makes me think that those of us from Alberta with 4 yrs+ have a very good shot of receiving an interview.

Here's hoping!

Does anyone know any 4 yr+ people from the past that did not receive interviews? Just curious.

XIAP

It definitely is not that easy to get an interview as a 4yr+ student. There are people that don't get interviews- in fact, I know a girl who just finished her PhD and didn't even get an interview this year. Maybe she misunderstood your question... The stats I posted are directly from the admissions office.

Archived