Premed 101 Forums

Should I rewrite the MCAT?

Guest The Young Buck

Guest The Young Buck

I have applied to U of A as a honors science undergrad (third year). I have not yet heard if I have an interview (are they sent out yet?). I wrote the MCAT summer of 2004 and my scores were 8V, 9PS, 12BS, N-WR. My pre-requisite GPA is 3.85 and cumulative GPA is 3.79. I am considering rewriting the MCAT so I can increase my chances of getting in after my fourth year. Is there anybody who has advice on whether I should do so? (perhaps a medical school student) or really anybody in the know-how

Guest scrubbed

Hey there,

Based on this board's posts, I believe that second interviews are out. If you haven't received anything yet, perhaps you should contact the office.

As you may know, U of A weights the MCAT as follows: MCAT (20%) - VR, PS, BS sections (15%) and MCAT writing sample (5%), so a better score would help your application.

In addition, if you plan to apply to schools with MCAT cutoffs such as Queen's or Western, your GPA appears sufficient, but your MCAT score does not make the cut.

If you have the time this summer, I suggest that you write it again.

My two cents. Best of luck.

Guest Lactic Folly

You also want to consider why you received the score you did.. will you be able to address those factors and improve your score on a rewrite?

Archived