Premed 101 Forums

New Housing/Books forum for UofA Med

Guest shkelo

Guest sassy101

Great post shkelo. I was wondering if anyone knew of any bulletin boards or anything in the medical sciences building where one could look for postings for a roomate, housing etc. ( I am going to Edmonton this weekend to look for housing ) I have checked out the websites everyone has so kindly posted and was just wondering if there are any other resources worth checking out.

Hey Sassy

I think summervirus has created a great resource for finding places to live. If you are looking for an apartment, there are tons of walk-ups on 83 Ave.and 84 Ave. (east of 109 Street). The only way these buildings advertise is by putting signs on their lawns with either contact numbers or saying to just go in and see the manager. I think prices in these buildings are fairly reasonable. I just saw several buildings advertising today east of 103 St on 83 Ave. They look nice, and are probably cheaper than ones closer to the U, but I guess it depends on how you plan on gettingto school. It's about a 25 minute walk from these particular buildings. I think the bus runs down right down Whyte Ave from this area, however. I live a little further east and bike to school year round in about 10 minutes, and I love where I live and the little extra daily exercise.

Is it safe to bike during snow season? When is the snow season in Edmonton? :)

Anyone knows where this apartment Garneau Bay is located?

I have biked for the last four winters and it is completely safe (if you wear a helmet, I've taken a spill a few times). You just need to make sure you have the right equipment, because it is VERY cold on the hands and feet when it's -30.

All along 83 Ave. almost to the school are apartment buildings, and they shovel their sidewalks early in the morning, usually making it safe and easy to ride. Snow comes as early as Sept/Oct. (but usually doesn't stay) and this year we got snow mid-May. But the amount of snow that falls is usually less than, say, in Ontario. I really enjoy riding, it is less stressful than driving at rush hour and being stuck in traffic. And it's free. There area substantial number of people in Edmonton who ride year-round.

Garneau Bay is located at 111 St. and 84 Ave (about one block from the hospital).

Guest summervirus

I don't know whether it's safe or not to bike when it snows but people still do it. ;) Anyway, the snow season can begin as early as October and end as late as March/April... so, basically the entire school year. :\

Garneau Bay is located one block east of the ER entrance to the hospital. So, if you're standing in front of ER, position yourself so you're facing Wendy's/Tim Horton's. Then, cross the street... (I think it's 84 avenue)... the first building on the block is called "The Galen" (with Yokozuna on the ground floor), the second building is an assisted living residence, and the third building on the block is Garneau Bay. :)

Guest shkelo

It is freakin' cold to bike in Edmonton from January-April, particularly when class starts at 8 in the morning. I biked last winter to school. It was definitely quicker, but I don't know about safer. I remember we had ice rain in December (very slippery streets) and a few big dumps of snow in February. The biking was treacherous. I still remember one ultra cold day in March, -38 degrees without the windchill, so imagine what it was like on a bike. It hurt to even blink since frost was collecting on my eyelashes and I lived only 10 min away from the school. It was just crazy cold that day.

How about scooter? I'm thinking about scootering in the winter. I wonder if the snow-covered road will be too bumpy for a small scooter... :)

Archived