Premed 101 Forums

How important is a car in 1rst/2nd yr?

Guest ssup

Hey guys...

just wondering whether ppl living on campus (or close to it) require a car in first/second yr? For example, are we ever required to go to hospitals other than the university hospital?

What's public transport like for getting to dt from the campus? Do you guys have subway/skytrain...?

Thanks,

Ssup

You can take subway and the bus from downtown to the university. Subway is faster, if you decide to live in downtown. Many residences nearby the campus have been full, so you'd better go there soon to check out the housing while having your medical exam done.

I thought the first and second years are mainly pre-clinical. So, I guess it would be only the university hospital. I don't know. I'm attending dentistry. :D

Guest summervirus

Good question... a frequent one, in fact. :) Check out some of the earlier posts:

City Transit: pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=150.topic

Car: pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=1&stop=20 (The post made @ 7/20/03 6:25 pm)

A car is definitely not required for 1st and 2nd year. It's nice if you have one but you can easily live without it. You may need to travel around the city from time to time (e.g. to shadow doctors, to visit elementary schools, for electives) but in those cases, you can get a ride from a classmate or take the bus. That's what I did.

The LRT (underground) takes you from downtown to campus in around 5-10 minutes. If you want to look up some of the routes, go to www.takeets.com/ :)

BBB,

you mentioned that many residences near the campus have been full? are those the residenes through the university or private appt buildings around the campus? Just trying to assess whether I should start getting worried....

Also...what medical exam to we have to have done? Does it need to be done in edm or can our family physician do it? haven't got my registration package yet so i'm just wondering....

Thanks,

Ssup

You have to get a medical exam through the U of A student health centre (to make sure immunizations are up to date and to start your hep B vaccination series if you aren't already vaccinated). I think you have until Sept. 30 to get this completed (I would have to reread my letter, but this date sticks out in my mind). It has to be done through the campus health centre, not your family physician.

As for housing, it IS difficult to find places to live around the university close to the start of school. However, because in Edmonton you only have to give one month's notice (I know in Ontario it's two, I don't know about other places), there should be listings coming up this weekend. If you've decided to go to U of A, I would think about looking this weekend if you can either get out here or at least look in the paper etc. Check out the comprehensive list of places to live in Edmonton that summervirus posted at the top of the U of A forum (I haven't figured out how to post a link to one thread in another thread-sorry). I am still seeing lots of apartments/houses with for rent signs near the university, so I don't think it's something to be too worried about.

Guest kernelhoover

The deadline for the medical exam is the 12th of September. From what I hear it gets very busy around the beginning of school so it may be one of those things you might want to get out of the way early.

Archived