Premed 101 Forums

Registration packages

Guest snoopychan

Guest snoopychan

The registration packages have finally arrived in Ottawa. Just a question and thanks for your help in advance.

Medical examination and immunization: Does anything have to be done before arrival to U of A or will the University Health Centre take care of everything? I was just not sure since they included a Faculty Medical Clearance Form in the package. Do I bring this to the UHC or to my family physician in Ottawa? I am concerned as my friends accepted to Ontario schools have to have everything done before arriving to school.

Thanks.

Kris

The medical exam has to be done at the University Health Center. You can do it once you get here though because the deadline isn't until mid-September. The clinic can be pretty busy at times though, so make sure you bring something to do while you wait, I've waited for over an hour before.

Guest snoopychan

Ali: Thanks for the info about the medical examination. By that, do you also mean the Immunization? Immunization is what I am most concerned about. Thanks.

You have to get the physical examination and your immunizations checked at the university health centre (at the same time). It's actually a good idea because when I started working at the hospital I had to get all my immunizations checked with bloodwork, even though the documentation showed I was up to date. Turns out I had lost my MMR antibodies and hep B antibodies. The whole thing seems like a bit of a hassle, though, since you have to get your TB test read 48-72 hours after you are injected with the tuberculin, and it says if you test negative you have to go back in 7-21 days to get it done again. This means four trips to the health centre... what a pain (especially when I already had my TB tested six months ago).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aguinar

I was wondering if everyone has received their registration package. I haven't gotten anything since my acceptance letter and am starting to wonder if it will ever come...

Guest sassy101

Hey aguinar,

I recommend that you call the office. I waited and waited for mine too and then finally decided that something must be up. I think maybe some peoples names were lost in the shuffle because when I called I learned that mine had not even been sent. Priscilla just left me one in the med office and I went in and picked it up myself.

Archived