Premed 101 Forums

BIOC 300 as an Unclassified student at UBC

Guest EngMaster

Guest EngMaster

Has anyone taken BIOC 300 at UBC as an unclassified student to qualify for admission to UBC meds?

I am a former UBC grad who graduated from Engineering. I have since done a master's degree in biomedical engineering at UofT, and scored really well on my MCAT. In fact, I interviewed at UofT, Queen's and Dalhousie and had great interviews, but some unforseen circumstances have forced me to move back to BC. Now I want to get the courses I need so I can apply to UBC, but as an unclassified student I can't register until after all the undergrad students have already done so (mid August is the first reg. date for unclassifieds I believe). Has anyone done this or know of anyone who has successfully got into the courses (BIOC 300/ CHEM 233/235)? Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest physiology

Hello,

If you interviewed at Queens, U of T, and Dal, wouldn't you have already fulfilled the pre-reqs?

I think they have similar pre-reqs as UBC (first year chem, first year English, full year of organic and a full year of biochem).

As an unclassified student you shouldn't have any problem getting into bioc 300. However, chem 233/235 will fill up very fast as most life science majors and other med-oriented students take the organic class/lab.

Go to http://www.chem.ubc.ca, find a man by the name of Dr. Gordon Bates, email him about your situation.

He's very nice.

Hope that helps.

Guest northpole

Hey there,

In fact, I did biochem 300 last year as an unclassified student last year and had no problems getting in! There may be a waitlist if you can't register until August, but it may help if you actually approach one of the profs (last year, there were actually 3 profs for the whole year) and explain your situation. This may help you to get into the class-- I've done that before with other classes and gotten in that way.

But anyways, you should be fine, I imagine!

Good luck with that! Biochem. is really fun! (at least I thought it was). Especially second semester with Dr. MacGillivray is excellent stuff!:)

Guest kanayo101

i personally recommend taking chem 233/235 at douglas (chem 321, 421 which transfer to ubc as the chem 203/204 combo). don't know if that works for you.

Guest psychgal

Hi Kanayo101,

Why do you recommend taking Chem 233/235 at douglas? Did you do this? Is it better than going the UBC route? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Guest EngMaster

Hi Northpole,

Thanks for your comments, thats encouraging to know that you did it with no problems. Just to clarify, when did you register when you took BIOC 300 last year?

Guest EngMaster

Hi Physiology,

Actually the pre-reqs vary widely at different schools I discovered. UofT requires 2 full year life sciences courses (I took physiology and biology) and 1 full year physical science courses or something like that.

Guest thatuvicguy

FYI - As another option, if you happen to be in Vancouver this summer, Biochem 300 is offered from July 12-Aug18 (I'm sure about the start date but not the end date). That's when I'm taking it, though it'll be a little intense with the simultaneous MCAT studying. It will be nice to polish it off in two months rather than a year and in my case, allows me to apply this year (finally).

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest kanayo101

Unfortunately, Douglas does not have an equivilent for the Chem courses you want. Chem 321/421 at Douglas transfer to UBC as Chem 203/204 which will satisfy the pre-requisite for UBC Med.

I believe those courses at Douggie are still taught by Keith Ellis -- he's fun and fair. Labs are great, just hope you get one of the nicer lab techs. I hear they got a brand new NMR and new mass spec. Douglas will start teaching analytical chem too.

I would recommend college anyday. Smaller classes, less stress, better and more caring profs...

Archived