Premed 101 Forums

International Volunteering: any suggested programs?

Guest theblueprints

Guest theblueprints

Hi Everyone, I have some free time this year and an hoping to do some short term international development work, preferably in Africa. Does anyone have any experience volunteer organizations in Africa?

I've been looking at opportunities in Malawi and Ghana, with CADIP and VOLU respectively. I've been researching these on my own and have found CADIP to be pretty sketchy based on my conversations with them over the phone.

Any recommendations on good/trustworthy organizations would be appreciated. I'm 30 years old so I don't qualify for most of the Canadian youth organizations.

Guest blinknoodle

There are a fair number of threads about international volunteering.

I will direct you to one with further links to peruse:

p090.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=381.topic

CFHI has a 4 week program in South Africa you may be interested in learning more about. It is more focused on medical experiences, as opposed to international development, though.

Guest akinf

I would recommend trying to do something on your own. Organizations are easy, but they are considerably more expensive as well. Also, if you plan your own experience, then you can decide how, when, and where you want it to proceed. I would recommend trying to get in touch with hospitals or embassies overseas to give you more information about the local scene. I went to Swaziland last summer through a self-initiated plan and it was an experience that I can never forget.

Archived