Premed 101 Forums

U of Alberta Update

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi everyone,

As with the last message board, I'm attempting to summarise information from each medical school on it's own thread. If you have any new information for this school, please post it here so we all can benefit. As this information is taken from previous threads, don't take everything you hear as gospel.

U of Alberta:

The initial rejections started being sent out in November. I don't have any current information about the state of rejections or interviews at this time. Can anyone help out?

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest melissa

i've been having real problems with u of a's disorganization. i received a letter indicating that they had not received my mcat scores of letters of reference. it turns out that they had but that there computer was not yet updated. then, they incormed me that i had not fulfilled the biochem prerec. at mcgill, where i attended university, bio 201 is equivalent to biochemistry so i don't know what's going on. is anyone else having similat problems?

I called Alberta admissions today and they said that one interview weekend was this last weekend and there are two more. One on the May 24/25 weekend and one in July. So the woman said that you will here about an interview or rejection anytime up until the second week of July.

I'm sure, at least as far as what the office of admissions told me. I realize it's late and think it's crazy that we may not no if we are or aren't getting an interview until July. That's Alberta's problem though. Most people from other schools will have heard by then so Alberta is losing out.

Guest Ian Wong

Hey, thanks for the info Koz!

If this is the case, I think U of A is going to lose out big-time this year in attracting a very strong Class of 2005. By July, virtually every medical school across Canada will have already accepted the entirety of their student body for the upcoming September 2001 semester, and the only changes will be movements up and down the waitlist as multiple-accepted students choose their first place med school.

By interviewing an entire cohort of people in July, U of A is taking the risk that those students will have already been accepted to a different school, and therefore be "siphoned" out of the U of A system. I can tell you for a fact as someone that received a late acceptance that the timing influenced my choice against attending that school; I'd already arranged housing, made moving arrangements, started checking out UBC by that time, and the other school would have had to be a heck of a lot better than UBC for me to want to redo that!

Ian

Can, MS2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rock On

Hi Ian. First of all, I love the informative and co-operative nature of this med school applicant site. I would also like to state that U of A has already interviewed students being considered for their "first round" of admissions at the end of February. Also, I have been informed by the admissions office that early offers of acceptance will be sent out during April for students interviewed during the first round. Interview calls for May/June, and subsequent acceptances in granted in July will only be for residual places in the first year class to be filled. In this respect, U of A is ahead of the "game" on accepting strong Canadian med school applicants. Just thought I'd clear up some misconceptions.

Archived