Premed 101 Forums

amount interviewed?

Guest EB

hey,

i've already finished my interview at u of a, but i was wondering if anyone knew roughly the amount of people the u of a tends to interview for their 125 spots. it's not on their webpage, but i thought maybe someone on this board would have asked a school official last year and would know the answer.

thanks,

eb

Guest shkelo

I think U of A plans to interview about 400 applicants. The first interview block in February interviewed about 200-250 applicants. Personally, I think it is a disadantage to be interviewed in the second block of interviews (May/June?) because about half of the spots will be offered in late April (early admission). I take this to mean that only those interviewed from the first block will be considered. Don't take my word on this, but this is the feeling I get.

shkelo,

the advantage of being interviewed in the first block is definately there, but only if you're a 4 year/degree applicant. they don't make these early offers to 2nd/3rd year applicants (I don't know which category you fall in).

Guest hulahulahula

Actually this year the U of A interviewed 2nd and 3rd year students as well in the first round interviews. However, getting an interview in May still gives you a high chance of getting in, as interviews are even carried out in June.

yes, interviews are still carried out all the way into june. BUT early acceptance offers are made in april for 4th year/degree applicants. this means that there is an advantage for 4th year students in the first round pool, as they do not wait for the second round of interviews before they start sending out acceptances.

Guest shkelo

I didn't know that offers of acceptance in April were only limited to 4th year+ students. News to me! Either way, picture it this way. In February, there are 125 places in Med, but after April, 50% of those are likely to filled. So the way I see it, applicants interviewed in the second block have a more difficult time earning one of the remaining placements. It's simple mathematics. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I think I'm being realistic with the way U of A deals with its applicants, like it or not.

Guest hulahulahula

Does anyone know when 4th years start to recieve acceptances? Is it before final marks are in for this semester?

And what about the 2nd and 3rd years who were interviewed in Feb?

Thanks!

a very select few (usually those who got a perfect 5 on their interview) of fourth years (ONLY) get admission in april before the final marks are in. i think you need to maintain a minimum average to keep that admissions though.

the rest of the fourth years, and the 2nd/3rd years (even if you were interviewed in february) will ALL have to wait until they finish the third round of interviews, which i think can take place as late as mid-june.

needless to say, the waiting is really really killing me... were you a 2nd/3rd year applicant interviewed in Feb? if you go the u of a, maybe i know you! :)

Guest hulahulahula

Hey EB,

I do go to the U of A, but I'm in 4th year, what about you? I may know you, but I guess it's a random chance -- what program are you in? I'm just in General Science, so that makes our chances of being in the same classes slimmer but I am taking some classes that Honours students take... I only asked about the 2nd and 3rd years because I have friends who are wondering about the situation with the brilliant 2nd/3rd years who had interviews in Feb. this year, unlike in the past when they weren't interviewed until May. That's too bad we have to wait until the May interviews are over... I guess my question is then, what is the advantage of having a Feb. interview?!? Anyway, here's to waiting!

• 3 weeks later...

I am an OOP interviewee for the end of may.

What are my chances? How is the interview? How should I prepare? What can I do to increase my chances? How many OOP interviewed/accepted?

I would really appreciate your help.

Tom

Archived