Premed 101 Forums

orientation

Guest ar79

At some med schools orientation begins the last week of August, and for others it begins Sept. 3; does anyone know when it is for UofA?

ar79,

i'm guessing you haven't got the U of A's big package with a schedule for the first few days of school, a list of fees, registration material, etc? when you do, all the info about orientation will be in there...

EB

No, I haven't recieved anything yet since I was just called from the alternate list on Friday, but I am from out of province and so will have to arrange flights and housing ahead of time. If no one knows for sure when classes first start, I can always call the admissions office tomorrow...

ar79:

i forgot that you were just recently accepted!

the first day of class is tuesday september 3. At 0900 we meet our "Big Sibling" and get a welcome package. At 0945 we meet the MSA. At 1000 there is a video slide show and at 1030 there is a "club fair." At 1130, the Dean's Welcome takes place in Bernard Snell Hall.

At noon there's a barbecue.

1330 there's a "Learning Survey" and at 1400 there's an overview of years 1 & 2 of the curriculum. At 1500 there's a prize draw and at 1530 there's a scavenger hunt/facilities tour.

Then at 1830 there's a party at the Power Plant (the campus bar) sponsered by the Dental Students Association.

Well, that's the schedule for the first day... I won't go into major details of the other 3 days seeing as you'll be getting your package soon. On Sept 4 (Wednesday) there's a team building workshop all day that takes place outdoors. On Sept 5 (Thursday) there's more "orientation" all day, and the Professional Standards Cemerony at 7 pm. If your parents are coming to Edmonton with you for a little while, they might want to attend this... On Friday, there's a golf tournement... I'm the world's most horrible golfer (I don't even try anymore... now my motto is "more hits = more fun") and you'll easily recognize who I am because I'll have the highest score by far :)

EB

Guest PeterC007

I wrote this in a different thread but it is more applicable here:

The first week is great. We are organizing some great parties for you guys and girls. The golf tournament is so much fun, it's all about dressing up and it doesn't matter if you can actually play. Also, if you are a hockey player (good or bad) there is the annual icebowl tournament between U of C, U of A, Uof S, Uof M, and UBC. We are hosting this year so make sure you bring your equipment.

One more thing, the infamous pub crawl.

Pete

Class 2005

MSA Sports rep

Archived