Premed 101 Forums

Pre-requisite dropping?

Guest james

Guest james

I had a few questions to ask about about the pre-requisite system here at U of A... hope someone has an idea?

1. The website clearly states that failed courses will not satisfy pre-requisite requirements. How does the U of A look at a course which was failed (and thus, no credit was received for the course), then re-taken and credit obtained? Will both averages be included in calculation, or will only one?

2. In order to upgrade pre-requisite marks, the website states that courses can only be upgraded if a similar course at a higher level is taken. The informational brochure lists specifics in each pre-requisite area which can be taken in order to upgrade these marks. However, I am unsure of whether or not particular courses will be utilize. For example, the Biology section omits mention of any biology courses (e.g. cell biology etc.) - will they count towards average calculation? As well, would biology courses which involve a student participating in lab research during the school year (a 3 credit 400-level course) be considered part of the biology pre-requisite?

3. What does the website mean when it says that a higher course level must be taken in order for pre-requisite marks to be counted? For example, if I were to take introductory physics for students who have never taken physics before, would I be able to upgrade that mark with a course in introductory physics for students who have taken physics before?

Thanks everyone...

james,

I'm not quite sure about what you mean in question 3...

Anyways, for question one: If you fail intro chem (101/102) and retake 101 in the next term, NEITHER grade will be counted in your pre-req. You would need to take another general chem course to satisfy the pre-reqs. At the U of A Chem 211/213 or phys chem are examples of the courses you would need to take.

For question two: To give you an example, if you got 7's in biol 107 & 108, and then in year two took biol 201 and got an 8 and biol207 and got a 6, the mark of 8 and a mark of 7 would be used in your calculation. At the U of A, higher level cell biol classes are called "CELL" and I do not know if they would be considered in your pre-req to replace a "BIOL" mark. Call the admissions office directly as they are the only ones who can give you a for-sure answer.

EB

Guest shkelo

I think this is what you are referring to:

I failed a course, repeated it and got a better mark. How will my GPA be calculated?

If a course is repeated, the University of Alberta will not use grades for courses you have received credit for already. To upgrade marks and have the course used towards your application, you would need to take a higher-level course and receive a higher grade.

1. If you successfully pass a higher level course, that mark (only) will be used in the pre-req calculations For example, if you received a 4 in Physics 1xx (6 units of credit), but an 8 in Physics 2xx (3 units) and a 9 in Physics 3xx (3 units), your pre-req GPA calculation would include the 8 and 9 from Physics 2xx/3xx and not the 4 from Physics 1xx. The "4" would still be used in the cGPA calulation, unless you're graduating, in which they drop your worst year's GPA (providing it's not your final year). I would phone the admission's office about what the scenario would be if you didn't receive credit for the course. A "DNF" is different than a 3. If you finished the course (or received a mark less than a 4), you would likely have to take a higher level course in that category. BTW, if you can prove that your low grades in a particular year were due to circumstances beyond your control, you may be able to apply as a "special consideration" applicant. Don't bank on it too highly though. I heard they had 300 applicants last year wanting special consideration, only a handful received it.

2. When in doubt, use the definition of courses in the U of A calender. Somewhere in there, it states which "class" each course is. Therefore, if the 400-level course is listed as a biology course, then it will count towards your pre-req average if you received a higher mark than your other biology courses.

3. Higher level refers to the number of the course. Therefore, a 300-level course is "higher" than a 200-level course. There is usually no correlation with difficulty or what is actually covered in the course itself.

Guest james

Great help - I'm still waiting for a reply from the U of A offices...

Do either of you know how the U of A (or even other schools in Canada) look at a 5th year? I know of a few students who have taken an extra year to boost those pre-requisite averages and done the year as just a marks year?

Guest shkelo

Yes, people are doing that more and more these days. In short, there is no disadvantage. U of A med school does not look "down" on those applicants who use an additional year to improve their application. In order for it to count towards your cGPA, however, you must be registered as a full-time student. I don't think this means having 30 units of course weight though, only enough to be considered a full-time student (3 classes/semester, I think). At the same time, these students usually do more volunteer work or sometimes rewrite the MCAT. In fact, you could rewrite the MCAT three times and it still wouldn't affect the way they view your application. When you look at the admissions process simply, it all comes down to a numbers game. Improving your numbers increases your chances of gaining admission.

Hey shkelo, why don't you become a mod for the UA forums since you're incoming first year and you seem to like to help people answer their questions. Just a thought ;)

Guest shkelo

It's a good idea and I have thought about it, but I have two reservations: 1. I won't have as much free time in the Fall (I will be working part-time and joining a city-wide sports league in addition to going to med school). and 2. I won't have easy access to a computer with internet capabilities as I do now.

I feel I can't make a solid commitment, so I'll just come and go periodically. I think that's only fair. If Ian still wants to "ordain" me as a mod, despite these reservations, then that's fine with me. I am registered as "shkelo" already. Otherwise, I'll just say my "two cents" when I feel like I have something to contribute.

Thanks for the compliment.

Archived