Premed 101 Forums

internship

Guest fox

Guest summervirus

I'm not quite sure what your asking.

But, I'll try to answer based on what I think your question is. Our third and fourth years are pure "clerkship"/"internship" (terminology depending on who you talk to) years. These consist of mandatory rotations (e.g. pediatrics, internal medicine, surgery, psychiatry, o&g, etc.) and electives in any area of your choice as well.

I believe that in third year, you are given 8 weeks of electives time and 5 weeks in fourth year. This might change a bit in the next while because the undergraduate medical education office is tinkering a bit with our curriculum/schedules.

These electives can be done both on site (in Edmonton) or with another recognized institution/program. Some student, in fact, pursue an international elective in their clerkship years. Many go to undeveloped/developing countries because they are interested in international health. From what I understand, the process is quite straight-forward.

If you want to go away for an elective, the undergraduate medical education office won't be what limits you from different elective opportunities. Rather, it will be finding an appropriate preceptor that has the time/willingness to take you. As long as he/she agrees, I'm pretty sure that the office will give you an "ok."

Guest summervirus

Oh yeah, one more thing: the UofA has a pretty unique thing that they offer to their first and second year students. We are asked to complete a (minimum) twelve-hour elective each year in any area that we want. The idea is to give us early clinical exposure and I think it's a terrific thing. Some students have done over three electives (>36 hours) and they get a lot out of it.

I just finished 20 hours in neonatal and developmental pediatrics this week... and I had a fabulous time. I'll write more about my experiences later... but, I need to catch up on cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping now!

Archived