Premed 101 Forums

rejection letters

Guest GI Jenie

Guest PARTY cal

Wow,

that is strange...I was told rejection letters don't come until the end of July.

What did your letter say? Was it specific in why you were not granted an interview?

I guess my letter will arrive any day now, I just can't wait, lol.

Guest summervirus

Hmm. I honestly don't know. :o

I'm not sure who all the people are that got in after 2nd/3rd year. Including myself, I can only think of fourteen people. Of these fourteen people, only three are from out of province (Sask, UBC and UT). I'm not sure if this is representative of the 25-2nd/3rd year spots though. Since I'm from Calgary, I obviously know all the Calgarians that got in and some of the Edmontonians that are originally from Calgary. I'm sure there are more OOP students that I don't know about... :)

Guest summervirus

Well, I think that most 2nd/3rd year applicants have really high GPAs. But, I don't think that the two from UBC and UT have perfect 4.0's. Neither one of them is older. They're both the same age as me (i.e. born in 1982). I'm not too sure about the one from Sask. :)

Guest summervirus

Yeah, GPA counts a lot at UofA.

For OOP candidates, I've heard that to be competitive, they should have 3.8+. Similarly, I think all 2nd/3rd year applicants have 3.9+. The lowest GPA I've ever heard of for a 2nd/3rd year is 3.86... and that was a guy who got in four years ago.

I was talking to Ms. Healey last Friday and she said that each year, the mean GPA of the applicant pool consistently goes up, making her job even more difficult.

Guest surfette

Ok... so what happens if we haven't gotten a rejection letter by now? I know of someone who received one a month after she applied, and previous posts have mentioned that others too have received theirs. If the interviews have already gone by, why wouldn't they just send us our letters now? Is there anyone else in the same boat? I'm oop.

Guest PARTY cal

Hi Surfette,

I am sort of in the same boat...the only difference is that I am an in-province applicant. I also found it strange that I have not received a rejection letter yet. This year they conducted all the 4+ year applicants during the reading week and will be doing the 2/3 ones later on. Are you a 4+ year applicant also??

Guest summervirus

I'm sorry but I don't know.

I didn't know that rejection letters were sent out this early. Apart from GI Jenie, I don't know anyone that got a rejection letter.

From the interview schedule that was released to us, however, the last day for interviews is May 12. There are no plans for any interviews after that (i.e. no third round).

I don't want to mislead anyone or give out false information. So, you can draw your own conclusions. From what it looks like to me though, if you didn't receive an interview, and you're 4th year (+), you won't be receiving any interview offer this year.

Guest me maniac

PARTYcal and surfette,

I, too, am in the same boat. I am 4 year OOP, have a 8.45 gpa, but have not had either an interview or a rejection. My MCAT's weren't great, but I did receive an interview from U of C (although that may mean less at U of C). Oh, well...:rolleyes

me

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blacko

I spoke to Ms. Healey today and I think she said there is another round of interviews in may or june for the 2nd/3rd year students. Maybe that's why some of you have not received rejection letters, because there is still a chance!!! Good luck.

Guest blacko

I spoke to Ms. Healey (UofA) today and I think she said there is another round of interviews in may or june for the 2nd/3rd year students. Maybe that's why some of you have not received rejection letters-because there is still a chance!!! Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pucca81

I am an applicant from BC and I have not heard anything back from U of A. This probably means no chance of getting interviews right? Are they done with interviews?

Archived