Premed 101 Forums

Excited

Guest Megs

Hi everyone,

I am really excited for next year, and since I spend way too much time on this website, I thought I should tell you that! I look forward so much to this fall, and I know we are going to have a great class and lots of fun. Anyone with me on that? Good luck to those who are waiting, and I look forward to meeting all of you guys next year!

Meghan

P.S. yeah, possibly irrelevant, but I figure we try so hard for med that once it happens, we should be excited about!

Guest medwannabe123

I'm excited too!!!

The next 4 years are going to be an amazing trip, I can't wait!!!

See you guys in September!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Sunshine

I was wondering if someone could tell me what orientation week is like?? What sorts of activities are planned?? I am getting pretty excited and can't wait for the information package to come out!!

Thanks!

Guest summervirus

Hiya,

The orientation committee is actually planning and preparing for your big week right now. They'll be working hard at it over the summer.

Here's some of the stuff that's planned: on the first day of school, you'll meet your "big sibling" from second year. There's going to be video presentations and lots of free stuff too (like your class backpack). There's also a big BBQ lunch where the deans cook the burgers for you. :)

You'll also have a day set aside for team building where you meet your classmates and bond. (I thought it was pretty fun! :D )

Throughout the week, there will be tons of parties, the famous pub crawl, miniature golf (where everyone has fun dressing-up in costumes), and lots more! :)

I, too, am really excited. I can't believe we still have to wait three and a half months! I was just wondering, do classes really start at 8am? (I had to work at 8 today and it nearly killed me to get up....). And what time is the day normally over? Does this vary or is the schedule fairly rigid? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I was also wondering if anyone in this year's first year class worked part-time. I am trying to figure out whether I should keep my part-time position (evenings and weekends) or not, and I may have to decide soon. Thanks in advance.

Guest summervirus

Your schedule will change from block to block. During intro block, you'll probably start classes around 8:30 and end no later than 4. There are a lot of days where you get the entire afternoon off. And, there will always be two days in the week that are half-days. (I think that it's always Friday afternoon for the 1st year students and some other morning... for my class, it was Wednesday morning... it's perfect for students that live out of town and want to go home for the weekend).

Your second block is pretty bad. Classes go from 8 to 5 almost every day. :( Afterwards though, things get better. :) Endocrine and CPR (cardio-pulmonary-renal) block are usually around 8/9 to 4 or so and you get a lot of independent study time, especially during CPR...

Personally, I don't know anyone that held a part-time job. But, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did. Some of the people in my class are really involved with extracurricular activities (sports, music, and schtuff). They're very talented people and I'm really impressed by how gifted they are! :eek

But, in my opinion, if you have a choice, it'll probably benefit you more if you didn't have a job during the school year. It gives you more time and energy to focus on school. At times, the workload at school is kind of crazy and I would imagine that it would be tough to balance everything (life, school, friends, family, and work). But, if you really want to work, it's definitely possible... :)

Ask around though. I don't want to bias you with my opinion. Other students might have a different perspective on it than me. Maybe some of the other moderators/students can post their comments or tell us about their experiences! :D

Archived