Premed 101 Forums

Application Question Re: Personal Attributes

Guest 007

I'm finding I'm running really short on space to provide all of the information they are asking for in this section. Should I include the dates for which I did each activity in this section? For the employment section, should I detail my responsibilities at each job or leave it short with just the title of the role? For example, when I worked as a cashier at a grocery store, I was also shift manager and in charge of balancing customer accounts.

Thanks,

Guest Lactic Folly

As you've noted, space is limited and so are the guidelines, so it's really a judgment call on your part to decide what information to include in order to present yourself accurately yet in a favourable light.

You can choose to include years or not (you likely won't have room to include months), but be consistent within any given section. Things to consider: does it provide a better sense of your level of commitment? Does it provide some context to an event?

Employment: describe your role as best as you can, keeping in mind qualities pertinent to medicine while saving room for other jobs you'd like to squeeze into the same section. I'd include the other tasks you mentioned - they show responsibility.

I am a little unsure about how to respond to the last question: List and briefly describe areas which illustrate that you have a diversity of experience in aspects of your life. This may include, but is not limited to, work, travel, career choice, sports, arts, fluency in other languages and research.

Most of my activities have been in work, research, and volunteering, all of which I outlined in my answers to earlier questions. Will the same person be reading all of my answers, or is it to my benefit to repeat myself (in a less detailed way)? Or, should I just list my other extra-curricular activities?

Thanks,

Guest pmcol

I think that one point of this question is to demonstrate that you are a well rounded person who has interests outside of work, research, and volunteering. Try to illustrate other skills that you may have (eg languages you speak, musical instruments you play, etc.). Mentioning hobbies might be a good idea too (I said that I followed hockey, for example). That being said, you can also tie in your work and research experience as contributing to your life experience. For instance, if you haven't already, mention if you have authored or co-authored any papers that have been published or were submitted for publication. Also, you mentioned you have worked in a grocery store. You could say something about how your experiences working there and being exposed to tons of different people and personalities has affected you.

In short, I don't think you should just list your extracurricular activities. Try to give them a little snapshot of who you are outside of work. I know that its really tough (and frustrating) to try to fit that into ten lines, but do your best! Just keep re-reading what you have before you submit it. Remember, you can always sneak extra information about your activities under the question "Is there anything else you would like the committee to consider" (the last question). Hope this helps and good luck!

Guest Lactic Folly

Since space is so limited, I wouldn't advise you to repeat information.. however, you could talk about different aspects of the same activity in different sections.

Archived